Does clipping wings keep chickens in privacy fencing?

Esscee

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi! I'm planning on my first very small flock. I think I only want 4 Whiting True Blues.

I live in an urban area. There is a busy highway directly behind my yard, and dogs on both sides of me. My yard itself is not large, but I have a 6ft high solid privacy fence all the way around my backyard. If the chickens were to get out of my yard, they'd be dead meat- either because of the traffic, or the dogs.

While they will have a spacious coop and run to be in, I would also like to allow them supervised range in my backyard. I am super afraid of them scrambling up the fence during this time, though.

I know if I clip one wing, it will make it hard for them to fly. But is that all I need to do to keep them inside? Will it really keep them in the 6ft fence, or can they still flutter high enough to climb over? Is there another breed I should consider instead that is less athletic? Etc...

Hi! I'm planning on my first very small flock. I think I only want 4 Whiting True Blues.

I live in an urban area. There is a busy highway directly behind my yard, and dogs on both sides of me. My yard itself is not large, but I have a 6ft high solid privacy fence all the way around my backyard. If the chickens were to get out of my yard, they'd be dead meat- either because of the traffic, or the dogs.

While they will have a spacious coop and run to be in, I would also like to allow them supervised range in my backyard. I am super afraid of them scrambling up the fence during this time, though.

I know if I clip one wing, it will make it hard for them to fly. But is that all I need to do to keep them inside? Will it really keep them in the 6ft fence, or can they still flutter high enough to climb over? Is there another breed I should consider instead that is less athletic? Etc...
Also look for anything near the fence that they can jump up on to fly over or into a tree branch and then escape! Been there done that lol. One of mine would jump on top of a metal waterer up into a tree branch and then over the fence.

Chickens are curious climber so keep all potential climbing aids at least several feet away from the fence. Clipping one or both will stop flying but not jumping. I have three hens that will jump straight up four feet to reach a ledge or whatever helps them reach their goal. Don't let it stop you from starying a flock. Best mental health therapy around.

Chickens are curious climber so keep all potential climbing aids at least several feet away from the fence. Clipping one or both will stop flying but not jumping. I have three hens that will jump straight up four feet to reach a ledge or whatever helps them reach their goal. Don't let it stop you from starying a flock. Best mental health therapy around.

Thank you for the encouragement :) I'm very worried about them coming to harm, but still really want to try!

@Esscee you can keep them in if wing properly clipped. You can get a further reduction in flight capacity by clipping both wings.

Link below is pretty good for procedure. If you do it, post pictures of before and after. I suggest doing it late in day so re-clipping can be done after we review it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Clipping-Chicken-Wings/

@Esscee you can keep them in if wing properly clipped. You can get a further reduction in flight capacity by clipping both wings.

Link below is pretty good for procedure. If you do it, post pictures of before and after. I suggest doing it late in day so re-clipping can be done after we review it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Clipping-Chicken-Wings/
Thanks for the link and offer to review!

I see SO MANY people on this forum (and others) who say that despite clipping the wings properly, their chickens still fly high... makes me wonder if I should just go with heavier breeds to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom