Does Coccidiosis Kill Overnight??

Otis Jackson

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Woke up this morning to one dead chick and one gravely sick (two out of nine in the brooder) with a lot of bloody dropping smattered around on the shavings. All chicks appeared 100% healthy last night. Inspected the dead chick and clearly the blood had come from their vent. I am treating the whole flock with high doseage of Corid solution assuming it’s coccidiosis (they are six weeks old and have been outside with other chicks before returning to the brooder at night). Since this morning another chick has become lethargic. The two sick chicks have been isolated and hand-given corid solution with a syringe.

Given the rapid onset is it possible this is something besides Coccidiosis that I need to consider?

Sorry for your loss. I would say that you have a serious outbreak. Glad that you started the Corid, but make sure that you treat the water as well, since that is how Corid dosage is figured. You can give a small drench twice a day of the undiluted, 0.1 ml per pound. ( I just reread your post, and see that it what you are doing. )Treat all of your birds at the same time. If you have any pictures of chicks or poop, please post. Here is a good dosage chart, and use the severe outbreak dose:
1590947982823.jpeg

Woke up this morning to one dead chick and one gravely sick (two out of nine in the brooder) with a lot of bloody dropping smattered around on the shavings. All chicks appeared 100% healthy last night. Inspected the dead chick and clearly the blood had come from their vent. I am treating the whole flock with high doseage of Corid solution assuming it’s coccidiosis (they are six weeks old and have been outside with other chicks before returning to the brooder at night). Since this morning another chick has become lethargic. The two sick chicks have been isolated and hand-given corid solution with a syringe.

Given the rapid onset is it possible this is something besides Coccidiosis that I need to consider?
Yes coccidiosis can kill overnight. Whether that is what is killing your chicks is something you will only find out with a necropsy, fecal float samples, or by recover after corid administration. Ten years ago there was a terrible problem with coccidiosis where I live. At that time chicks were kept in a brooder and released into the main coop once feathered. A lot of chicks died and they died very very quickly. I introduced medicated feed when I took over the chicken care and that helped. What helped the most was burning the ground the old coops sat on.

Thank you. Unfortunately the chick who was very ill succumbed this afternoon even with the acute treatment. Several others are now sick with bloody poop (see photo). They have only been drinking water with high doseage Corid (2 tsp/gallon) since this morning, so I hope there is some improvement overnight.

C0875A15-DB48-4ADF-B059-FD126E3A05F3.jpeg

Sorry for your loss. I would say that you have a serious outbreak. Glad that you started the Corid, but make sure that you treat the water as well, since that is how Corid dosage is figured. You can give a small drench twice a day of the undiluted, 0.1 ml per pound. ( I just reread your post, and see that it what you are doing. )Treat all of your birds at the same time. If you have any pictures of chicks or poop, please post. Here is a good dosage chart, and use the severe outbreak dose:
View attachment 2170259

Back
Top Bottom