Does color variation change amout of eggs layed ? Best egg laying quail ?

Luigi555

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2019
I have been reading a lot that coturnix quails are the best for eggs laying. Also is a Japanese the same as a coturnix ? I would like a different color then then standard wild look. Thank you.

Hi! Coturnix is the same as Japanese quail, and there's no difference in color and egg laying or production. Any color will lay well and often.

There is a difference in size though, based on the "jumbo" varieties that were bred for larger physical size and larger eggs. Those seem to come in the wild or Pharoah coloring, tibetan dark range and maybe the A&M whites? I'm not sure on the last, but I have heard of the first two larger standard breed colors.

Hi! Coturnix is the same as Japanese quail, and there's no difference in color and egg laying or production. Any color will lay well and often.

There is a difference in size though, based on the "jumbo" varieties that were bred for larger physical size and larger eggs. Those seem to come in the wild or Pharoah coloring, tibetan dark range and maybe the A&M whites? I'm not sure on the last, but I have heard of the first two larger standard breed colors.
X2

Go to the James Marie Farms site. He's low on information, but he's got a lot of pictures and colour variation for you to look at.

EDT: Also, Jumbo coturnix won't lay as many eggs as a smaller quail (bred for meat, not eggs) and are usually falsely advertised. If you buy Jumbos, do it from a reputable source.

Further, wildtype colours are easy to sex by colour. Pure white quail or other such varieties? Not so much. So that's something to consider.

Thank you eBay has a mix colors or coturnix so I thought that would Be cute. Are the jumbo that much larger ?

I bought a mixed batch of eggs from eBay just a month ago. I got 9 babies to hatch from 14 eggs, and of them, I'm sure 1 is a "jumbo" tibetan. (The advertisement claimed there were jumbos in the mix)

He/she not only came out of the largest egg by far, but stands taller and broader than any of the other chicks so far. There are sites that quote weights and such for adult birds and I'm not sure about that part, but the eggs are noticeably larger.

Go to the James Marie Farms site. He's low on information, but he's got a lot of pictures and colour variation for you to look at.

EDT: Also, Jumbo coturnix won't lay as many eggs as a smaller quail (bred for meat, not eggs) and are usually falsely advertised. If you buy Jumbos, do it from a reputable source.

Further, wildtype colours are easy to sex by colour. Pure white quail or other such varieties? Not so much. So that's something to consider.
Thank you I would like to raise them for eggs my best bet seems to be a coturnix wildtype color. I do like the tuxedo they are cute I can have a friend vent sex them I believe

Last edited:
I've been raising quail for about5 years and have hatched hundreds of eggs. This is only my opinion but I've found the more rare the color the less eggs the bird lays. If you want to easily tell the sex of the bird and regularity of getting eggs, stick with pharohs or Italian. I do like Tibetans but you can't sex them by eye. Silvers imo have by far been the worse layers but I do love their color. The larger the bird the bigger the egg but all the large females I've had ended up prolapsing and I'd end up culling. Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom