1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Comb Color indicate Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sahara, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have heard somewhere that the darker the comb color means the hen/pullet is ready to lay. Can anyone confirm or educate me?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Bright red combs are one indicator that a hen is in lay cycle or approaching point of lay.

Dull, lighter pink combs can mean they are not mature enough yet or they are in moult or just taking a break (ex: broody).

Jody

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Some birds have bigger and darker combs than othes all the time.

Of course, the eggs show up at the other end of the bird. The distance between the pelvic bones indicates the developing eggs and oviduct.

Steve

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I just started getting my first eggs this week. I thought I had one layer. I was getting about one egg a day. But we noticed that another pullet's comb got somhow bigger. I did not think she was old enough to lay but today, we went out and got an egg this morning, still warm from my oldest girl. About a half hour ago today I went out to tuck them in and there was another egg. So I believe the comb did tell me that the other pullet was indeed laying. I am new to this, so I am no expert. But the kids and I did notice a difference in brighter colr and size just before hand.

5. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    apparently the larger the comb, the more it shows its in laying status

and sometimes apparently the colour of the earlobes can tell you the colour of the eggs?

6. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    earlobes? really? I gotta run out and look. Okay its cold and dark. I have already tucked them in. I will look tomorrow! Thanks for the info!

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    White earlobes= white eggs and red earlobes= brown eggs

8. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:attack chicken could never of said it better...

9. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Okay! I will look at everybody tomorrow! I think the only one with white is my littlest roo! No eggs there. [​IMG] But I will inspect ears in the morning! Thanks. jeanmarie

10. Gtown Farmer

Gtown Farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Delores, one of my Aarucana hens has white earlobes and she gives me beautiful pink eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by