Does every flock have a complainer?

We have a complainer too her name is Faye and every time she hears something but can't see the source she complains too, sad thing is she's spoiled too
idunno.gif
barnie.gif

Gertrude update:

As of last night (I was too darn tired to get online and type when I got inside) all the chickens except two have taken to the new roosting poles. Miss Gertrude Grumpy-feathers seems to be on strike, sitting at her "bouncer" spot in the door and sleeping there as well. Oddly, one of the new roosts is right above her, but she refuses to use it. It is within HER domain however, because when poor Billie timidly approached it last night, Gertrude let her know what's what and chased her off. I think poor Billie ended up sleeping on the straw too, but not of her own desire.

These chickens are a hoot. I'm loving 'em!
love.gif

On another note, my little chicks are a week old today. My daughter says I'm turning her into a chicken-addict too. :)

Last edited:
My chicks are just 3 weeks old, what does this sound like? I live in the city on a small 7,000 sq ft property and we are allowed 4 hens but I am getting increasingly nervous of noise!

A few of my girls are loud after they lay their eggs (egg song). It will go on for a few minuets (BAWK BAWK BAWK!!) to let everyone in the yard know. But, I also have 9 hens and only a few do this. So, if you are only allowed four, I would say, not to worry too much. I also have hens that sneak into the box, lay their egg, and then get back out to the pasture without a peep! My Barred Rocks...I think.

Anyway, the rooster, is loud! And he crows at intervals throughout the day, for whatever reasons he sees fit. The girls just sing their song, and once it's done, it's done. The rest of the noises are just softly chicken clucking noises. And if the city has a chicken ordinance already set, I'm sure they have been made aware that most chickens make some noise.

But also, EXACTLY what "CoopDeDoo" said above. And most dogs in our neighborhood (including my own!) make a much louder noise for a longer duration of time than the chickens do.

Good luck with your flock!

Last edited:
I had two Australorps that screamed at me every. single. time. I went to the chicken yard. It was so obnoxious! ... So they went to freezer camp.
tongue.png

I was feeling SO bad about posting my complaining chicken story since it also ended with "freezer camp". To be clear though, I think this chicken was truly neurotic rather than just complainy. The constant screeching never stopped.

The remaining 9 hens just don't act the same as she did, even though they still make PLENTY of loud noises.

I was feeling SO bad about posting my complaining chicken story since it also ended with "freezer camp". To be clear though, I think this chicken was truly neurotic rather than just complainy. The constant screeching never stopped.

The remaining 9 hens just don't act the same as she did, even though they still make PLENTY of loud noises.
For many of us there's nothing wrong with freezer camp. Here we'll make our determination about who goes and who stays when they've become more regular with egg laying. If I have a hen who is consistently having problems with egg laying, she's got her ticket, followed by those that are mediocre layers, and any that are too aggressive (toward people or other hens, allowing of course for normal pecking order behaviors). Two of our roos are already in the freezer, and it looks like our one remaining roo will be going soon. He was too small at the time we processed the other two, so we're letting him get a little more meat on his bones first.

It's never easy to cull, but Ken and I didn't get chickens to let them keep accumulating in the backyard. And I don't have the space or the money to keep and feed lawn ornaments. They have a job to do - help feed the family - and that means meat or eggs, or both. That doesn't mean that we can't enjoy their varied personalities while they are here. You knew your chicken's behavior was neurotic rather than just quirky, and you made the call accordingly. One neurotic chicken (rather than just a "complaining" one) can upset the balance in the flock and stress the other birds, and that affects their egg laying and behavior. Feather picking, egg eating, and lots of other stuff we try to avoid can often be stopped by culling a culprit, giving the flock a chance to establish a pecking order and then settle down.

I recognize and respect those who don't see it that way and find "freezer camp" drastic and heartless. What's right for me in my situation might not seem right to them. That's okay - there's plenty of room in this old world for both schools of thought.

This chicken is the flock's complainer because he thinks he is the boss of me. He'll peck me whenever he feels like it and he'll gripe whenever I pick him up. He also bosses everyone in the flock around, too.

That is Speckles, my main complainer. "No one else is in bed yet!!" "Someone is MOVING my bed spot!" "HELP! I am STUCK outside of my yard!"

As time goes on, you will come to know the different sounds they make. When they are happy, it is lovely, some almost purr! The alarm sounds are less pretty! My new aracuanas have alarm cries that almost sound raptor-like! A few years ago, a fox came and took our Kate, the buff orpington who was, the head-hen. The sounds the rest of the girls made (as they raced to the deck staircase) was awful. True panic. They can also make a loud squawk song after they lay an egg. It is their way of saying, "Hey! Somebody come see what I just did!" Don't worry too much about the neighbors just yet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom