Does everybody do regular worming?

baucomgop

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 5, 2009
Annapolis
I have had my two hens for about a year, I get an egg a day frm each and both are healthy and happily run the yard all day. I have never given a worming medicine, and am confident that they dont have a problem, all poops look fine.
Should I start doing a regular worming medicine as a preventative? What other regular maintenence actions should I take?
These are my first two hens, so feel free to be as detailed as you want, I'm learning!

Two hens, two dogs and a cat living in harmony in Annapolis, MD!

I have 9 pullets about 6 months old and very good layers.....I haven't done any worming. I have mixed thoughts about it, looking forward to reading the replies. I heard that once you worm you can't eat the eggs for a week or so I think? My girls free range and so far very healthy.

I've had chickens for about 7 years. Have never wormed. Have never seem worms.
I would not worm without some evidence of worms.

Imp

If you see your chickens acting lethargic, hardly eating or drinking, not laying etc...it's probably due to worms. Check their poop often, if you see worms in their poop it's an infestation and they need to be wormed. Also, take into account where you live. I live practically in a swamp, the soil is always damp and there's the heat and high humidity...very condusive for worms. It's so bad here that I'm currently having to worm once every 3 months vice twice a year as I was previously doing. I'm switching over to eprinex (no withdrawal period) as I'm tired of discarding eggs in the garbage. Preventatives help; like cayenne pepper, crushed garlic cloves,crushed pumpkin seeds...but, they are not treatments.

frow.gif
Good morning flock tenders
I have never wormed my chix. as long
as they eat,drink and are merry
gig.gif

I never felt the need.
and they give me eggs everyday.
and have never lost a one except to
a prowling critter which is no more.
I do put a tablespoon of
apple cider vinegar into a gal of their
drinking water each and everyday.
sissy
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I try and follow the organic guidelines, NO chemical wormers.

I get a plenty close view of the poop boards during the morning scrapings. IF I did see worms or symptoms of worms in my birds I would try natural "abatement" methods first. If the birds became real sick, then and only then would I consider a chemical wormer.

It is my opinion if your birds are healthy and happy, and are performing to your liking, their is no need to follow the recommendation or practices of large scale poultry producers.....
wink.png

If it ain't broke don't fix it....
smile.png

ON

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree!!! i tend to believe the books i have read saying that having a worming schedule with no need is the cause of resistant strains of parasites AND it depletes a chickens natural resistance to them ( and they WILL develop resistance)

Of course, if there are telltale signs or proof then by all means, worm them.

Thanks everyone for the responses here. I too have been wondering if I'm doing a bad thing by not dosing my birds with wormer. My six free-ranging girls appear very happy and healthy but I wondered. I won't feel too bad now. Oh, BTW, I've been reading up on some of the wormer medications and, from what I've been reading, you can't eat the eggs for two weeks following medication.

Back
Top Bottom