Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Pics
Lucky was getting pretty stressed inside, so I let her go back to bed with her friends before getting much into her. I had spiked half pedialyte half water with nutridrench, but only got 10mL into her. I didn’t want to stress her out or aspirate her, so didn’t over do it. I just wanted to get some fluid into her, really. I was really tempted to give her another enzyme capsule, but didn’t. Maybe in the morning.

I’m feeling a little hopeful again, but don’t want to kid myself. At least I can go on my trip knowing I did everything I could for her.

On another note, I forgot to put one of the roosts back up when I let them out this morning (I removed one to help Bridge and Little Mill down and to grab Lucky). So they are roosted in different spots tonight. Lucky ended up cuddling next to Roxy instead of hanging in her usual solo spot in the corner.

@azygous what are your thoughts on Lucky at this point? Do you think she’ll still be alive by the time I get home Friday night? She looks pretty good in the video, but she’s not as steady as normal and like I mentioned, is starting to crackle/gurgle a little. I won’t be here to assist with oil, fluids, etc. AT ALL on Thursday and Friday.

There of course will be lots if fresh water and feed out, and I will leave a large amount of damp feed with baby bird formula poured over it since she’s still eating that.

I think you've provided stability to Lucky's health for now. The fact that she's rallying and behaving like a normal chicken is encouraging. Yes, I feel she will be just fine while you're gone. While none of us can predict when her life will come to a close, the intensive care you've give her these past few days should hold her in a steady pattern over this next week.

I know you're going to worry anyway, and so would I. This could be looked on as a rest period for you both. You've done all you can for her. The rest is up to her, whether you are there with her or not.

I think you've provided stability to Lucky's health for now. The fact that she's rallying and behaving like a normal chicken is encouraging. Yes, I feel she will be just fine while you're gone. While none of us can predict when her life will come to a close, the intensive care you've give her these past few days should hold her in a steady pattern over this next week.

I know you're going to worry anyway, and so would I. This could be looked on as a rest period for you both. You've done all you can for her. The rest is up to her, whether you are there with her or not.
Thanks, Carol. Do you think I should do anything for her in the morning before I go to work or let her be? It seems another enzyme and warm water wouldn’t hurt if there’s room in her crop. I’d like for her to have every chance, but also don’t want her last interactions with me to be stressful. Or I could just pour a cuppa decaf and sit in the run with them before work.

If you're inclined to give her another enzyme, that's what I would do. I don't think it would hurt her and it could help. Popping a pill is very minimally stressful.

When I need to dose a favorite chicken, I hold her and cuddle and kiss and coo, and when she's at the high point of ecstasy, I pry open the beak and shove the pill in, and then continue our love fest. All is good. The slight interruption goes mostly unnoticed.

If you're inclined to give her another enzyme, that's what I would do. I don't think it would hurt her and it could help. Popping a pill is very minimally stressful.

When I need to dose a favorite chicken, I hold her and cuddle and kiss and coo, and when she's at the high point of ecstasy, I pry open the beak and shove the pill in, and then continue our love fest. All is good. The slight interruption goes mostly unnoticed.
Thank you for the moral support. ❤️

Lucky was the same this morning. I did end up giving her another enzyme capsule and some warm fluids (half water, half electrolytes spiked with nutridrench), as well. Maybe 35mL or so? She was eating regular feed, or at least pretending to, along with the dampened feed topped with warm baby bird formula. I think the fact that she is hungry is a good sign. I just hope her GI tract will keep moving. It clearly is not 100% blocked, or her crop would be gigantic. It's staying about the same, so something is getting through.

We did have a special moment, Lucky and I. When I was out in the run pouring the freshly mixed, warm formula out of a large measuring cup over damp feed in a large feed bowl, Lucky pecked my back a few times. I picked her up and placed her on my thigh, and cuddled her. She pressed her body against mine like she does. ❤️💕

We sat there (actually, I was squatted down) for a few minutes and then I had to get to work. I think she would have stayed longer if I didn't have to go. I told her I loved her and she's a good, beautiful, strong girl. At one point, she looked me right in the eye. I will cherish that moment and hope there are more to come.

Back
Top Bottom