Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Pics

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
@Eggcessive Kim, I’m tagging you specifically because I believe you are or were a nurse, correct? I understand that veterinary medicine and human medicine are not necessarily the same but I’m hoping you’ll know the answer to this. We have other very experienced people on here and I’d appreciate if they would weigh in, as well.

My chicken Lucky seemed to get her laying hormones back recently, but did not produce an egg and now she’s swollen up quite significantly. I can definitely tell she has discomfort. I was able to draw some fluid off of her today and was surprised to see that it has a green tinge to it. Does that mean infection? I understand that ascites is just a symptom and she has an underlying condition causing it, but I’m wondering if the color of the fluid gives us a hint at all. Thank you!

I was only able to do one syringe full, as I could not manage holding onto her and then coupling the syringe from the tube by myself. However, she did continue to drip significantly on a towel on my lap, and then afterward, when I released her. I hope it provide some relief for her today.

1B3F976F-B358-4F4E-901C-2C029C08D2A7.jpeg

Edited later to correct voice to text errors.

Last edited:
Lucky is having a really good day. Here’s a video of her right now, along with her friends. Excuse the ugly white tarps on part of the run. I had to slap them up super quick before I left on my trip and didn’t even get them tight. I think I’ll get the clear shower curtains and do a better job of it this year, but I had to get something up real quick before I left.

The important thing is that Luckys body language is very good today. Maybe she’ll surprise us like Ruby and hang on for awhile.

Last edited:
For your reading pleasure. https://labpedia.net/fluid-analysis...dominal-paracentesis-abdominal-tap-procedure/

Pertinent info:

Physical appearanceSignificance
Clear and pale yellowNormal
TurbidBacterial infection
BloodstainedTrauma, malignancy, or infection
GreenGallbladder and pancreatic diseases
MilkyLymphatic blockage and trauma
Biochemical findings
AmylasePancreatitis and gastrointestinal perforation
GlucoseDecreased in TB peritonitis and malignancy
Alkaline phosphataseIncreased gastrointestinal perforation
CEAIn malignancy of the gastrointestinal system
CA 125In ovarian malignancies
Blood urea nitrogen/creatinineRuptured and punctured urinary bladder
Microscopic findings
WBCs count <500/cmmNormal
>500/cmmBacterial peritonitis and cirrhosis
Gram stain and cultureBacterial peritonitis
Acid-fast stainTB peritonitis

Lucky was the same this morning. I did end up giving her another enzyme capsule and some warm fluids (half water, half electrolytes spiked with nutridrench), as well. Maybe 35mL or so? She was eating regular feed, or at least pretending to, along with the dampened feed topped with warm baby bird formula. I think the fact that she is hungry is a good sign. I just hope her GI tract will keep moving. It clearly is not 100% blocked, or her crop would be gigantic. It's staying about the same, so something is getting through.

We did have a special moment, Lucky and I. When I was out in the run pouring the freshly mixed, warm formula out of a large measuring cup over damp feed in a large feed bowl, Lucky pecked my back a few times. I picked her up and placed her on my thigh, and cuddled her. She pressed her body against mine like she does. ❤️💕

We sat there (actually, I was squatted down) for a few minutes and then I had to get to work. I think she would have stayed longer if I didn't have to go. I told her I loved her and she's a good, beautiful, strong girl. At one point, she looked me right in the eye. I will cherish that moment and hope there are more to come.

Your video cracked me up. The lengths we chicken moms go to for our chickens. And don't think our chickens don't just eat up the loving attention. No doubt in my mind that the loving attention is an important factor in the treatment.

The flush is good because it does wash through the whole digestive tract, and the gizzard is an important beneficiary of this.

The long flush is much, much more solution, so if you see some positive results but wish to see more, then do the long flush.

One teaspoon Epsom salts in half a cup warm water tubed twice a day for three days. Every chicken I've done it for has tolerated it very well and the results are very good. It's just more time consuming than the short flush. But you know when you're done after the three days that your patient is well and truly flushed out.

Be sure to offer plenty of plain water in between since this can be very dehydrating as it pulls fluids out of the intestines as it works.

I have no idea if it works, but it is often added to animal feed so I don't think it would do any harm, is to give her some cellulase. You can buy it as a supplement for people. It is the enzyme that breaks down cellulose.
When we massage their crops for impaction we are trying to break down tough grasses which are basically cellulose. But we cannot reach them in the gizzard. Cellulase might just get down there brought along by the fluid and may help.
Just an idea. I am confident of the 'won't do harm' piece. And confident of the logic of trying it. But have no idea if it would work.

I got through reading some scientific articles on feeding poultry these cellulose digesting enzymes and I think it's pretty safe. Both humans and chickens, actually most animals other than cows, have trouble digesting cellulose. Cows have these sorts of enzymes so grass is able to be thoroughly utilized. Poultry raised for meat are fed these enzymes to maximize the nutrition they get from feed, all necessary for the profit god. As far as I can determine, this shouldn't be dangerous to try on Lucky.

Definitely improving! I'd say even dramatic improvement.

Eating, pooping, moving around with her posse, that's all going to improve her crop function.

A flush can be done any time. But if she has any yeast in her crop, the Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) would be more beneficial than the molasses flush. It's one teaspoon Epsom salts in one-fourth cup water. It needs to all go into her at once. Unlike molasses risking aiding yeast, Epsom salts neutralizes it.

Comfort yourself with knowing you have gone all in to give Lucky every chance to grab a few more weeks or months of life. Having a failing liver means her clock is ticking down to the final moments which have to come because that's how this thing called life is.

No one gets a warranty when they're born or hatched that they're guaranteed to live the maximum number of years. It's nontheless disappointing when we have to face the final proof of how impermanent life is.

Back
Top Bottom