Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Pics
I have no idea if it works, but it is often added to animal feed so I don't think it would do any harm, is to give her some cellulase. You can buy it as a supplement for people. It is the enzyme that breaks down cellulose.
When we massage their crops for impaction we are trying to break down tough grasses which are basically cellulose. But we cannot reach them in the gizzard. Cellulase might just get down there brought along by the fluid and may help.
Just an idea. I am confident of the 'won't do harm' piece. And confident of the logic of trying it. But have no idea if it would work.

I got a candidase… Which is cellulase plus protease. I don’t know if I’ll use it, however. Not sure if I should be doing experimental things on her. When I get home from work, I’ll check out her crop and see if it moved at all today. Difficult to assess until the morning, but I’m running out of time before I leave.

I got a candidase… Which is cellulase plus protease. I don’t know if I’ll use it, however. Not sure if I should be doing experimental things on her. When I get home from work, I’ll check out her crop and see if it moved at all today. Difficult to assess until the morning, but I’m running out of time before I leave.
Obviously up to you. I don’t think it is very experimental as both are used in feed additives. What is experimental is whether they would do any harm.
I guess most likely it isn’t an obstruction but more a symptom of underlying disease in which case it for sure won’t help.

Probably, but I had hoped to get her cleared up before I go out if town. Her crop was full, but not too firm when I got home. I plucked her off the roost and brought her in for coconut oil. Offered baby bird formula with nutridrench, which she took a couple bites of. My hope is it gets a little nutrition into her and keeps her GI tract from shutting down completely. I’ll reassess her crop in the morning. Depend on how it feels, I may do coconut oil and/or warm water. Her abdomen does not feel swollen. All things considered, her body language is still pretty good, so I’m “going all in,” as @azygous put it. I won’t take it as far as I did with Ruby, however.

I got through reading some scientific articles on feeding poultry these cellulose digesting enzymes and I think it's pretty safe. Both humans and chickens, actually most animals other than cows, have trouble digesting cellulose. Cows have these sorts of enzymes so grass is able to be thoroughly utilized. Poultry raised for meat are fed these enzymes to maximize the nutrition they get from feed, all necessary for the profit god. As far as I can determine, this shouldn't be dangerous to try on Lucky.

I got through reading some scientific articles on feeding poultry these cellulose digesting enzymes and I think it's pretty safe. Both humans and chickens, actually most animals other than cows, have trouble digesting cellulose. Cows have these sorts of enzymes so grass is able to be thoroughly utilized. Poultry raised for meat are fed these enzymes to maximize the nutrition they get from feed, all necessary for the profit god. As far as I can determine, this shouldn't be dangerous to try on Lucky.
Thanks. The only one at Whole Foods also has protease. It’s meant to break down yeast (cellulose for the membrane and protease for the protein on the inside). I am tempted to try it, but don’t want to harm her.

As @RoyalChick already indicated, apparently proteases are already used in poultry feed, as well. I wonder how much I would use?

5DFB15C3-A0A5-41DB-AC96-2463335B5905.jpeg

E8B714CD-BF86-41BF-8F58-A081BDC03415.jpeg

Protease is one of the enzymes the poultry industry uses to increase the digestion of the tough cell walls of corn to maximize nutritional utilization.

There's always a risk with a sick chicken. These enzymes are used mainly in meat chickens, and we know they are only getting them for a few short weeks. For Lucky, one dose and watch her behavior, watch her poop, watch her crop before giving her any more.

Back
Top Bottom