Does heat (hot summer temps) affect egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BankerJohn, Jun 17, 2010.

1. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    I live in Florida and it is common now for day time highs to get into the high 90's.

Do hens reduce to stop production if it is too hot? I've read that light affects the laying habits, but was wondering if too hot days would alter or stop their egg laying all together? Any eggsperiences from my friends on BYC?

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Well, I live much further north than you, but we do get 90 degree weather. My hens do not slow down when it's hot. Just make sure they have plenty of water. Too little water can affect egg laying.

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Mine do tend to lay less with any extreme weather, lots of rain, lots of heat, lots of cold, they will slack off for a little.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Production always begins to sag about this time of year. Until yesterday we've been getting 99-100 degree temperatures for nearly a week with corresponding humidity that pushed the heat index to 110. Miserable weather for a hen and it shows in decreased feed consumption, increased water consumption, and lowered egg production.

Chances are it'll bottom out then remain steady. Might even increase a bit once they become accustomed to it.

Look to your shade, keeping the water supply clean and plentiful, and improving their air flow if your coop is tight.

norxgirl likes this.
  5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes in my opinion my egg laying does decrease considerably during high temps, Where I live it can sometimes become unbearable and my birds just shut down and spend all their energy trying to stay cool.

AL

norxgirl likes this.
  6. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    It's in the high 90s here every day with a heat index usually around or above 100. None of my girls have slowed down, in fact the "of age" pullets have just begun laying, though I do have 4 broody hens so that's 4 less eggs I'm getting daily, but everyone else is laying atleast 6 eggs a week. The only time my girls have stopped laying was like October through December.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My egg production is waaaaay down. Im really getting backed up on egg orders. Im hoping that we seem to be in the afternoon thunderstorms mode that it will pick up again.

norxgirl likes this.
  8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    My freerange hens keep rolling out the eggs but they're a bit smaller whenever we first get temperature spike. After a couple of days of HOT, they're back to normal size.

norxgirl likes this.
  9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Definitely affecting us! we also have temps near 100 w/heat index of 110. My Welsummers & Blue Andalusians are still producing altho considerably slowed down, and the Ameracaunas have shut down almost completely. I'll be glad when the watermelons get ripe so I can start freezing some for them - they love that on a hot day. We do too!

norxgirl likes this.
  10. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    Thanks all, especially A.T. Hagan. I followed many of your posts for a LONG time before I even spent a dime on chicken husbandry or purchasing a chick. Many thanks! You are somewhat close in N Central Florida so I have always valued your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by