Does Mash help Egg Production in Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    My Mum told me someone from work says that if you feed chickens mash rather than pellets in winter it increases egg production because it keeps them warmer in winter. Is this true? It is because my 5 chickens at 27 weeks old still haven't laid. Will this have a better effect for them starting laying or would adding a light to the coop help more? They are RIR.

Thanks BYC'ers

Tom [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Let's wait to hear some of the experts but my thought is ...the layer pellets have the scientific formula. It tested and proven. Then again the pioneers didn't use a layer formula and they got eggs.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You might get more info if you post this is the Feeding & Watering Your Flock section. Or you could do a search for it either using the search feature or just by scanning through the aforementioned section. The folks over there know their stuff and are constantly comparing notes with each other regarding best ways of feeding. They can help you out.

Good luck.

4. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Mine eat a homemade mash that my local feed store grinds and it's doesn't help any. The main problem is lack of light and the natural process of molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by