Does molting affect combs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VentuckyChick, Nov 30, 2012.

1. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    My Ancona started molting about two months ago and is still not laying. I guess she's a slow molter, but my main concern is that her comb looks terrible, like she's sick! Is the comb affected by molting? I have her in my profile/avatar pic, so you can see how large and glorious her comb usually is. It's now all withered and flopped over, it looks pale, small and dry, although I swear I saw new, small, bright red comb buds popping up along the front top of her comb yesterday. Is this normal?? I've been checking them for lice and they are clear.

2. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Whenever mine molt their combs get pale and smaller, once they're done molting they go back to normal.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, their comb will be really pale and shriveled looking. When they get close to laying again, the comb will brighten up and turn red again.

4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I was wondering the same thing. My 5 SS hens started molting back in late Sept early Oct and their combs changed too. I thought maybe it was just my imagination. I had been comparing their comb color to my Wellies who which just coming of age to lay. The Wellies combs stayed nice and bright red while my SS combs turned dull and dried out looking. I almost put coconut oil or Vaseline on their combs but I didn't.
    They are starting to redden up and look healthy again. AND I got my first egg today from one of them since they started molting!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by