1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does molting change their temperament?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoChick, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I have an EE who used to be very friendly, would come running and jump on my lap for threats, and squat when I'd tell her to sit.
    She's now molting, not really bad, but since it began, she's become very unfriendly. Today I wanted to give her some treats and she wouldn't even come close.

Is this normal when they're molting? Any chances she'll be friendly again once it's done?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    The new feathers are sore when they are first coming in. She should be back to her old self soon. [​IMG]

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    good to know [​IMG]

4. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks! Poor thing...

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, if you had a bunch of pins sticking out of you like a porcupine, you'd be grouchy too. [​IMG]

They do get really grouchy when they molt - it takes a lot of energy out of them too. My buttercup is usually pretty flighty - she's going through a hard molt right now, and she just comes near me and rests. (as long as I don't touch her) And she doesn't want to be anywhere near the roosters. [​IMG]

She'll be back to normal when she's done molting.

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I had just been about to post this, one of my hens has been really aggressive this week, and today she is dropping feathers like nothing I have seen. My flock has molted one at a time. I've been giving extra treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by