Does my Billie have bumble foot or is it just a callus? PICS

Quote:
Vetwrap works beautifully - sticks to itself and nothing else. I cut it into thin strips and wrap beween the toes and around the ankle.

Thank you for the advice! I am storing it in my mental medicine chest!

I've used neosporin too and there's a new mini-spray that you pump. Purse-sized pack and one person can hold a chick and spray the feet with this.

Also remember that if you use peroxide use it only once at the onset, because it can destroy healing tissue.

This is a good thread...
cool.png

Okay, how about this . . . one of my chickens is walking funny, and there seems to be a bit of swelling on the pads of the feet, but there is absolutely no sign of a scab. When I look up swollen, tender feet, I always pull up things on bumble foot, but they all talk about the scab that my chicken simply does not have. Is there a form of bumble foot that doesn't develop a scab? Or should I be searching for some other cause?

It might be that the roosts are too high, and jumping off is a little tough on their feet. But maybe it is early bumblefoot. I don't know how to treat it at that early stage. Maybe you would just put on the neosporin and wrap in Vetwrap.

Someone with more experience with this should answer. This is where you might want to start a new thread. It's a good question, but it might not get much attention at the bottom of this thread.

Ok, since bumblefoot is caused by a staph infection... is it safe to eat eggs from these chickens?

I started wondering about this due to another post asking about eating the meat... which is a no no, but found nothing on eggs.

Anyone know the answer?

actually, it's okay to eat the meat. you aren't eating it raw. my DSO posted that question earlier this year and got this response...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1461363#p1461363
We ate the turkey, no ill effects!

As far as the eggs, unless you are treating the bird with systemic antibiotics, or have some reason to believe that the infection is systemic, I would think that eating cooked eggs would be fine. Others may have a different opinion to add.
idunno.gif

does bumblefoot occurs more often in heavy breeds? It seems like it is happening to heavy breeds more often than light or bantam breeds.

Interesting topic!

I went through veterinary papers from Purdue that had advised against eating the meat. A few other vet papers offered similar advice regarding the meat. Maybe because of the ancillary issues regarding spreading staph? It is cold hardy to under 50 degrees and has to be heated to over a sustained 140 degrees to kill it.

Considering that I have no clue what temp the eggs cook at... I don't know if it's hot enough?

So going with that data...
Some cooking methods guarantee a sustained temp of over 140F. We definitely cook our poultry meat to no less than 165, so it was at or above 140 for a sustained time. Just don't eat your poultry rare.

Egg white denatures at btween 143-149F, so if you fried your egg to firm it seems good, and boiling water would be hot enough to kill staph, so hard boil is also good. Just don't use them for meringue.

Obviously you will make your own choice. We took the advice given at the time and did not get sick.

Last edited:
I sorta noticed that my hen was sitting more....and she was up on a shelf in the barn and clucking at me....I was down by the boxes and looked up and her 2 toes were swollen...it looked like she had a stone that went straight through her toe because you could see it on the top and bottom, on one foot.
There are pics posted in my picture files on my meetup group: www.meetup.com/chickens1
thats
the Southern CT/Westchester NY backyard poultry meetup...if youre in the area, come join us....

Its a hard thing to eradicate! Im finally doing some systemic antibiotics, because though she is not failing, it keeps coming back because i cant dig it all out...and its uncomfortable for her. So Im gonna approach it differently.
And she is being kept separately in a dog crate in the basement, which I put outside so her sister hens can sit with her...but I don't let her walk around on the dirt.

Melina
www.meetup.com/chickens1

Back
Top Bottom