Does My Brooder set-up look okay (previously Hot,hot,hot)

Okay. I went to the pet store anyway to get a probe thermometer so I picked up a 40 watt red bulb too (had practiced with a 40w white bulb at home and it seemed just right)

My GP cage is pretty long and tall. I can adjust the light quite a bit more up or down without getting close to the chicks.

Here's what the probe thermometer says:
under the heat lamp - about 1" off the floor- it reads close to 97 degrees.

brooder1.jpg

Checking from the other side at the level of the feeder it reads around 74 degrees.

brooder2.jpg

Is that hot enough on the hot side and cool enough on the cool side?

Am I overdoing it with my draft shields?
Anything that looks dangerous?
Something I didn't think of? (Oh by the way I am ordering from Meyers with a heat pack and overnight express - no packing peanuts
wink.png
)

My flooring is reptile liner (thick absorbent paper with little knobs on it for traction).

I got the Gro-Gel stuff and the Vitamin/Electrolyte stuff and starter crumbles and chick grit...

I really, really need those chicks to do well...

forgot to mention: the GP cage is about 2 feet tall and so are my cardboard draft shields. Is that too high?

Thanks. Yes, I have kiln dried pine shavings that I use for the GPs. Was hoping I could just use the same for the chicks.
At what age can they have shavings?

Usually people switch them anywhere from a couple of days to a week after they get them. You just want to wait until they learn that the chick starter is their food, so they don't start eating a lot of shavings, by accident. Their little brains have a lot to learn and they don't have a chicken mom to imitate and follow. So they learn a lot by experimenting, including what things are food.

If you keep them on paper longer, it get's stinkier, as they get older.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom