Does my chicken have fowl pox?

Sweet little ones!❤️

I would try sanitizing the water as explained in the article below. I would also apply Iodine or Povidone Iodine to the scabs that are appearing. Take care not to disturb the scabs, just put the Iodine on a qtip and dot it on. Worth a shot to see if it helps start drying those up or at least limit the eruptions.
Keep them drinking and eating the best you can.

Since you are having outbreaks like this, look into Fowl Pox vaccine, it may help future chicks, but I think it's administered around day 8, so you would want to do what you can to keep mosquitoes out of brooders until you can vaccinate.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
I had a terrible bout of wet and dry pox in November and the thing that worked best on the lesions was the iodine! Every day I wiped their faces with an alcohol wipe, applied iodine to the lesions and terramycin to their eyes to help with infection. The internal wet pox chickens all died :-( But only one with dry pox did…so I count my blessings I guess. Your poor little chicks, I’m so sorry for you both 😢 😢

Sweet little ones!❤️

I would try sanitizing the water as explained in the article below. I would also apply Iodine or Povidone Iodine to the scabs that are appearing. Take care not to disturb the scabs, just put the Iodine on a qtip and dot it on. Worth a shot to see if it helps start drying those up or at least limit the eruptions.
Keep them drinking and eating the best you can.

Since you are having outbreaks like this, look into Fowl Pox vaccine, it may help future chicks, but I think it's administered around day 8, so you would want to do what you can to keep mosquitoes out of brooders until you can vaccinate.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
And another question btw😅 (sorry if im asking too much), the povidone iodine that you mentioned, will this be the one in the photo fine? And how many times should i apply it to a chicken in a day?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 2
Oh, i do have one more question. Will fowl pox worsen on sunny days when chicks get some exposure to the sun or on rainy days?

And another question btw😅 (sorry if im asking too much), the povidone iodine that you mentioned, will this be the one in the photo fine? And how many times should i apply it to a chicken in a day?
The sunny/rainy day question is a good one, but I don't know the answer. To me, I would think sunny days are better, since usually it's dryer and warm, chickens love some sunshine too. Let's ask @dawg53 and @Eggcessive if they know if it makes a difference.

And Yes! The Povidone Iodine that you have in the photo, you can use that on the lesions. I would apply 1-2 times a day unless @kurby22 has a better suggestion.

I'm hoping you will be able to head some of this off, please keep us posted on how they are doing.

The sunny/rainy day question is a good one, but I don't know the answer. To me, I would think sunny days are better, since usually it's dryer and warm, chickens love some sunshine too. Let's ask @dawg53 and @Eggcessive if they know if it makes a difference.

And Yes! The Povidone Iodine that you have in the photo, you can use that on the lesions. I would apply 1-2 times a day unless @kurby22 has a better suggestion.

I'm hoping you will be able to head some of this off, please keep us posted on how they are doing.
I just tried it for the first time and while i was applying it, they couldnt keep still for a long period and i feel like the qtip have slide through their mouth because i saw their mouth move as if they have drank something. Is there any bad effects if they ever get to intake the iodine?

Last edited:
I just tried it for the first time and while i was applying it, they couldnt keep still for a long period and i feel like the qtip have slide through their mouth because i saw their mouth move as if they have drank something. Is there any bad effects if they every get to intake the iodine?
It’s okay if they eat some iodine, I actually applied it to the inside lesions for the wet pox as well. Obviously you don’t want a lot to get in their mouths, but a little bit from a squirmy chick is fine. I only needed to apply the iodine once a day, but if you feel like they don’t get a good amount on it the first time, I would apply more. It made the lesions dry out and shrink within a couple days…they were still feeling run down though so make sure they’re getting extra protein and vitamins. I made them scrambled eggs with plain Greek yogurt mixed in for the probiotics and added vitamins to their water. Growing chicks will benefit from the added protein while their system deals with the dry pox virus. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

It’s okay if they eat some iodine, I actually applied it to the inside lesions for the wet pox as well. Obviously you don’t want a lot to get in their mouths, but a little bit from a squirmy chick is fine. I only needed to apply the iodine once a day, but if you feel like they don’t get a good amount on it the first time, I would apply more. It made the lesions dry out and shrink within a couple days…they were still feeling run down though so make sure they’re getting extra protein and vitamins. I made them scrambled eggs with plain Greek yogurt mixed in for the probiotics and added vitamins to their water. Growing chicks will benefit from the added protein while their system deals with the dry pox virus. 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Thank you so much for this❤️. I really hope my 2 weeks old chicks survive😣

Thank you so much for this❤️. I really hope my 2 weeks old chicks survive😣
I really hope they do too! Fowl Pox really sucks! I would also say that you are much better off letting them get sun. It will help dry things out and wetness just makes things colder and dampness is just never good when you don't feel good--especially when they still lack all their feathers.

I just tried it for the first time and while i was applying it, they couldnt keep still for a long period and i feel like the qtip have slide through their mouth because i saw their mouth move as if they have drank something. Is there any bad effects if they ever get to intake the iodine?
It shouldn't hurt to get a tiny bit inside the beak.
You would have to look up the ratios, but Povidone Iodine can be used to sanitize drinking water, so unlikely a bit of a swab from the qtip would hurt anything.

I sure hope they improve or at least treatment helps to lessen the severity.

Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom