Does my duck have a deformity or deficiency?

LeahH

Chirping
Jun 11, 2022
My 3 Welsh Harlequins are a month old. One of them always spent more time sitting than the rest. She walks a bit but will plop down to rest much more often than her sisters. I could not really see a difference before but now she is obviously different looking. Does anybody know if this is a specific condition or development issue? I fed them starter feed specifically for ducks for 3 weeks and have since been feeding grower pellets specifically for ducks.

I have included a couple of pictures with her standing with the other two, but generally she has a wider stance, and her belly is really tucked up looking and it looks like she keeps her tail tucked down while standing and walking.

Attachments

• Resizer_16585241648001.png
    Resizer_16585241648001.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Resizer_16585241713723.png
    Resizer_16585241713723.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
If mine I would put her on liquid B complex
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Even when feeding feed formulated for ducklings we can still have one come down with a niacin deficiency.
They sure are adorable.
@CoriM do you think this duckling would benefit from being hobbled?
@LeahH can you put a video up so we can see how she walks?
You'll have to put your video on youtube or another platform then copy and paste here.

I would try the vitamin B complex Miss Lydia suggests as soon as possible. I'm not sure why her tummy is sucked in and her tail is tucked down. Does she have a hard time getting into a standing position? Do you feel like her legs are spread farther apart than natural when standing or sitting?

Did her legs splay out when she was younger? If you have a TSC close you might find the liquid B complex. it works a lot faster than nutritional yeast. I like to use NY for an everyday supplement but when one has a problem the liquid b complex is the best.

I would try the vitamin B complex Miss Lydia suggests as soon as possible. I'm not sure why her tummy is sucked in and her tail is tucked down. Does she have a hard time getting into a standing position? Do you feel like her legs are spread farther apart than natural when standing or sitting?
I will try some other stores tomorrow and see if I can get some of that! She seems to stand up fine but does not walk or stand much. She just seems a bit unstable while standing and is almost as if she's using her tail to help balance, or using the same muscles to help balance. When she is standing I do think her legs are farther apart than the others.

Last edited:
I had a duck who had splay leg - her legs were noticeably to the side. I used the liquid vitamin B complex, 1 ml a day on treats, which you can get at your feed store or on Amazon. I also hobbled here - I used 1 inch vet wrap and had someone help me hold her up with legs in proper position while I used the wrap to hold her legs together. I first gently wrapped a piece of vet wrap around each leg, then took a longer strip to wrap in a loop around both legs holding them in proper position. I left my duck hobbled for a few weeks until I could see that the vitamin had worked and she had regained strength. I did still have her swim each day to strengthen her legs. Can't remember if I had to replace the hobbles each time, or wether they would stay put for a few days before replacing.
IMG_0487.JPG

Back
Top Bottom