Does my duckling have signs of a Niacin Deficiency?

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
I recently added 2 ducklings to my flock and I’m worried they might have a niacin deficiency.
I’ve never raised ducks before only chickens. They’re about 4 weeks old (give or take) and I only started giving them niacin supplements about a week ago after 1 was showing some signs. But both seem to be getting worse.
Im attaching a YouTube link to see if y’all can help out because I’m not sure if it is a deficiency or not.
Thanks!

Oh and I should add, that they sit frequently. When they’re eating, drinking, or following me around the yard. But I’m not sure if it’s enough to say it’s TOO much sitting?
Also if you can’t tell by the video they’re very wobbly and shaky when they are standing. Again, not sure if it’s just bc they’re babies and still learning or if it’s due to niacin deficiency

So being 4 weeks-or-so old it’s definitely reversible right?
And I’ve been using Durvet vitamins and electrolytes for poultry in their water. Says on the back it has 22.5 mg of niacin. I found it to be cheaper than a b3 complex or brewers yeast. Did I make the wrong choice?
I do have some b3 powder coming in a package the next few days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 7
It looks like it would have enough but the problem is anything you add to water is going to get diluted. And we have found once a duckling is having problems the liquid B complex works the best and fastest. Putting it over something tasty that they will eat right up means they are getting a full dose not diluted.
But yes it can be reversed if treated now.

Back
Top Bottom