Does nest area have to be divided, or can it just be one open space?

pcvbarry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central AR
As we endeavour with our first coop, my husband and I debate about the nest area. I've only read about individual nest boxes (for example, the nest area is 1x4, so we put in divider walls to make 3 or 4 nests), but he says we can just leave the whole 1x4 space open (with a short wall in front to keep material/eggs in) and the hens will nestle right in.

Does anyone know the "right" answer? Or at least have a preference?

Ridgerunner

Free Ranging
11 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Most people like the individual nesting boxes, but what your husband is talking about is called a community nesting box. The hens will probably lay in it without a problem.

Chicken03

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Western Pa
I think that the unseperated nest boxes would work fine. Both will work but you could save some time and materials by leaving them unseperated.

4biddies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
NH
I use a communal nest box, and my hens seem quite content w/ that setup, fyi.

GaDawg

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
North GA
I have both and my hens prefer the ones that are divided and will only use the community one if the others are full. I will be putting in a divider soon.

Last edited:

raneydayfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
My husband over does everything and made about fifteen nest boxes for our hens, and they only use three of them, go figure. I would think that the communal nest box would work okay, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Top Bottom