Does nest area have to be divided, or can it just be one open space?

pcvbarry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central AR
As we endeavour with our first coop, my husband and I debate about the nest area. I've only read about individual nest boxes (for example, the nest area is 1x4, so we put in divider walls to make 3 or 4 nests), but he says we can just leave the whole 1x4 space open (with a short wall in front to keep material/eggs in) and the hens will nestle right in.

Does anyone know the "right" answer? Or at least have a preference?

Most people like the individual nesting boxes, but what your husband is talking about is called a community nesting box. The hens will probably lay in it without a problem.

I think that the unseperated nest boxes would work fine. Both will work but you could save some time and materials by leaving them unseperated.

I have both and my hens prefer the ones that are divided and will only use the community one if the others are full. I will be putting in a divider soon.

Last edited:
My husband over does everything and made about fifteen nest boxes for our hens, and they only use three of them, go figure. I would think that the communal nest box would work okay, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

My 3 girls share 1 small dog house as a nest box.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom