Does the 'feathering in rule' ring true?

Thanks guys. I've got some straight run Two week old polish chicks and as soon as I can find the Roos I can return them for pullets.
Basically I have two that seem to be at the same stage and one who is feathering in faster but is bigger and more boisterous.
hmm.png
I kind of pride myself on seeing it early. I was able to tell my showgirl roo at four weeks! But hey, what can ya do?

Quote:
I have limited experience here, but the two I have who are feathering out much slower than the rest are the ones who had pasty-butt when during their first week. They are still smaller and more chick-like than their age mates so I bet general health also affects the rate that they grow both in size and in feathers.

I've been observing my now 2 week old Leghorns closely - if I group them by feathering I have 2 in group A and 3 in group B.

Group A developed long wing feathers and long tail feathers within the 1st week. At 2wks their combs are short.

Group B developed long/short wing feathers by end of week 1 and at 2 weeks started developing tail feathers. At 2 wks two have very pronounced combs and one does not.

So I'm thinking Group B are roos and Group A are pullets - but time will tell. And the one slower feathering B may just be a pullet in disguise
wink.png

I'm hoping this rings true for me because it will mean I only have 4 roos out of 20 chicks and one is supposed to be a roo anyways. lol.

I have 5 buff orpington chicks. 4 have a lot of feathers, including tail feathers and the other one only has a few wings feathers and 1 itty bitty tail feather. (These were supposed to be 4 pullets and 1 roo. So I think it's safe to say that they are spot on with this theory)

I have 3 Cuckoo Marans. One has lots and lots of feathers an is a total sweetheart so I'm praying she's a she. The other two are ify. One has lots of feathers but not quite as many as number 1 and the third has lots of body feathers but practically no tail feathers-I'm thinkin roo which is fine by me because I don't like the little stinker anyways.

I have 2 bantum cochins (for sure). 1 has lots of feathers and one only has wing feathers. Maybe 1 roo and 1 pullet.

I have 4 silkies and they're all getting their adult fluff at the same rate and it's a pretty good amount. 4 pullets

Then I have 9 more that are d'Uccles and Cochins, 2 mixes and an Ameracauna that I'm not sure what they are. I don't have any to compare the Ameracauna too but I'm thinkin roo. I know for a fact 2 are d'Uccles and might be pullets and then the rest are unsure.

Last edited:
Oh, I love those pictures and the names that you have chosen. This is good to know. I am new to the forum and my baby chicken project. I have 14 Dorking babies that are not quite a week old, so I will watch to see how the feathers come along. I hope it will be obvious to who is who.

English Teacher with a farmer husband, a grown daughter and son-in-law, two Schnauzers, an adopted mama cat with five kittens that are getting tamer by the day, 14 baby Dorkings and school starts in two weeks--Oh, my!

Lurch is so cute! Looks like he's wearing a little prison uniform!!!! Absolutely adorable!

Slow feathering does not always mean roo. I have 4 sex-links and one of them took way longer to get tail feathers than the rest. That's why her name is Stumpy. But she is in fact a pullet, laying eggs and everything.

Back
Top Bottom