Does the 'feathering in rule' ring true?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    You know- the one that states that roosters feather in more slowly? How young can you start relying on this rule? I have three week-old chicks. One has tail feathers already, the other two do not. Came from ideal. [​IMG] gracias.

2. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Well, it rings true with the (bantam0 Barred Rocks I have. By five weeks - earlier, even - it was really obvious who was who. The red faces on the cockerels confirmed my ID. Here's Lurch, a little cockerel, at around eight weeks:

[​IMG]

And Biscuit, a pullet of the same age:

[​IMG]

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Oh my god, look at him! Hahaha!

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

7&8 :

Well, it rings true with the (bantam0 Barred Rocks I have. By five weeks - earlier, even - it was really obvious who was who. The red faces on the cockerels confirmed my ID. Here's Lurch, a little cockerel, at around eight weeks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/52531_dscn2904.jpg

And Biscuit, a pullet of the same age:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/52531_dscn2943.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG] I have laughed until I cried and my sides ache! Please forgive me, Lurch. I'm sure you are a sweetie!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm watching closely and I guess I'll be able to confirm it in about 6 more weeks [​IMG] I've got 5 White Leghorns, 2 with tail feathers and very long feathered out wings, 3 without tail feathers and their wings are divided into short and long feathers. All will be two weeks old on Saturday. If everything I read holds true with the feathering rule - I'll have 2 pullets and 3 roos.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
  7. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    For me it seemed the opposite with the exception that the white leghorn which im ninety percent sure is a too feathered out slowly till about four to five weeks then seemed like growth exploded almost eve night his tail grew long and started to curl(unless hens have long tail feathered too?, but it seems like my leghorn has more red skin coming in on the face faster so im sure its a too?) And he got the red skin under his beak and around behind the eyes? Their six weeks old today and I still haven't heard any crowing so who know help me guys

8. thesweetone

thesweetone Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Guelph, Ontario
    With that photo, Lurch is the perfect name! Your birds are adorable!

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Not with me. My Cochin pullet did not start feathering until she was 5 weeks old. My neighbor across the street had a very slow feathering Wyandotte pullet as well. It was even slower feathering then my Cochin.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    With mine, it seems that the slowest feathering ones are roos, HOWEVER, fast feathering does not equal pullet. [​IMG] I have five definite baby NN roos right now and only one is a baldy and slow feathering roo. The rest feathered in as fast or faster than my presumed pullets. So it's really not a good way to tell, at least in my experience - maybe it differs by breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by