Does the killing get easier ?

My experience was quite similar to Buster52's. I was concentrating so much on the process that it was over before I knew it. My husband and I processed 10 birds one day and 14 the next. Both went very smoothly, and as Jaku said, it does get easier once you figure it out.

By the end, it became quite routine. It may have been easier for us because we only had meat birds. So, there really wasn't an emotional attachment to get over. We honestly looked at our meaties as dinner from the start. They were fulfilling their purpose in life.

I took my meaties to be processed today. It was with a mobile butcher - a guy with a horse trailer set up as a portable slaughterhouse. He was at a local farmers, and I got in on the set-up. This worked well. However, I had gotten to know my meaties a bit too well in the past couple weeks. They were very friendly, and followed me around, and I knew who was who, and a little about their personalities. They did not have names, but this was still a bit too friendly. They were 10 weeks old, which is also an age at which my layer chicks tend to be friendly. Anyhow, I was lucky that the farmer's son (teen or 20 something) was willing to hand my chickens into the butcher because I don't think I could have done it. I said a mental goodbye to each one as they went in, and this was a bit much for me so I started tearing up. Maybe not having a job to do myself made it worse. Anyhow, it was amazing how efficient the processor was - he did all the birds in about 15 minutes. Only about a minute from a living squacking chicken to a dead chicken carcass.

If I do this again, I am definitely not going to hang out with the meaties. I raised colored rangers, and next time I may try raising cornish x, just because I think they are not as nice (as chickens) and because I'll kill them at only 6 weeks, when they won't have as much personality.

Last edited:
Quote:
I said mine the night before. I sat down in the tractor with them, and visited with them a bit. Explained what we were doing and why, and that it would be as easy and as quick as I could make it.

The goodbye was not for them. It was for me, because I knew full well they couldn't care less and hadn't a clue what I was going to do or was talking about. They just made little sounds as they listened to me talk, just as they always did, and my favorite came up and gave me one last peck on the leg.

The next day was all business. What I owed them then was comfort and quiet up until the act, then a quick and humane death.

I culled my first one three weeks ago. It is difficult but I found comfort knowing I was the one doing it and I made sure there was no suffering. It was not easy but I kept him calm and really tried to make him comfortable until the end. Raising them from chicks, watching them grow does make it harder in some ways and a little easier in others. I focused on the fact that mine were much happier being free range chickens and taken very well care of than packed tightly in a coop with hundreds of other chickens. No offense to farmers - just how I made myself fell better about killing them. I truly appreciated that meal, more than any other meal before.

Does anyone out there shoot their chickens? I think that that is the only way that I could ever do it. Are there pros and cons to this? It also seems like it would be the most humane way... am I wrong?

Quote:
I've done it, and it works fine, and is definitely easier if you are uncomfortable with the other ways. There are a couple reasons I don't do it- not that it's wrong, just my reasons.

-First, shooting them is kind of a pain- either you're shooting at a moving bird, or you're positioning them in the cone so you hit them right.
-It uses up your ammo and you have to pick up shells.
-Unless you're putting a shotgun to the bird's face, you're somewhat likely not to kill the birds cleanly every time.
-You're shooting a gun, so you immediately add more safety issues, and have to process in a possibly less convenient place so you have a good backstop.
-Finally, although I eat plenty of wild game, and have bit down on plenty of lead, why introduce lead to your otherwise chemical free birds? Just my thoughts.

I will be doing it for the 1st time in Sept. I have my douts, I keep telling myself thier life was better then the chicken in the store. One chick has a bad leg. She wants to live I can not even cull her. If is does'nt work I have a nice new big coop for more layers.

We had some friends over to butcher and she was suprised that I was stroking the head and neck to calm the birds before killing. I feel for the birds, but they have a reason to be here and are well cared for till that time.

I know they have served the utmost purpose so that makes me feel better. Knowing they lived an above average life for a chicken before they provide us with healthy home grown meat. It will get better.

I can skin a deer, butcher a chicken or rabbit in my sleep now. The more you do the faster/better you will get at it too.

Back
Top Bottom