Does this chick look ok? Please help!

I hope yours are doing well this morning as well! This egg hatching is tricky business I'm learning! I hatched the other 10 eggs last night, as they weren't doing anything and the incubator had been opened so many times to help these two...there were 9 fully formed chicks of the 10! Sad that they didn't make it. I know the humidity was the issue for most after looking at their shells. Grr. But I'm thrilled that we have 2 who seem to be doing well. Can't wait to see how yours are!

I was so happy to wake up today to see that the sac has shrunken considerably and he is happily chirping away and starting to walk around a bit more in his little container. The 2nd one is a bit more out of its shell, but I can still see the yolk sac (now that I know what I'm looking for!), so I'm leaving him alone. He's wrapped in a wet paper towel, as the membrane was hardened. The black one likes to hang out right here, over the other one. So cute!

Here they are today: The black one is moving around well. The other one looks ok I guess? Not beautiful at the moment, but he's alive!

I took the container of water out and will remove the sponge once this little guy is out of his shell. He's getting there, but I think he'll have the sac hanging from him as well for a bit. The lighter colored one still has gunk over his head. I can clean that with a warm/wet Qtip later on today I guess. Then, hopefully they will start to fluff out.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Wow, your little black one is really awake. That's great. It's like he/she is telling the other one to wake up. You may want to turn the little one over once in a while..about every two hrs. so the head doesn't want to stay on one side when it wakes up. I've found that they will hold their heads the way they were laying on for a while if not turned. My babies are still waking up. I have to go out of town, hoping when I get back, they will be awake enough to handle and get pictures. They seem to be doing ok so far. :)
Hmm, neighbors, giving eggs to you? Lucky!

once they are up and moving....i'd get some of that electrolyte mix to put in their water.

I agree. Once they are up and about. I don't use full strength on my chicks. About half what they suggest. You can find it at your local feed store. Pretty sure. :) It's at all of ours here.

Thanks again-both of you! I'd flipped him a few times today and ended up putting him in a cup, as the other one was crawling all over him. Then he kept hopping out of the cup and has been trying to move around ever since. I gave him a little bit of sugar water. He has a weird yellow and red thing on him as well. I think it's more yolk sac. Ugh! So far, he's moving a bit and doing ok. I have to run out for a bit, but am hoping he'll be fine when I get home.

The black one is hilarious. All over the place. And getting drier. :) He pecked at the water but wasn't interested at all. Is sugar water ok or do I need to find electrolyte mix? I'm not sure that I'll be able to get tonight...

Yes, super great friends! We are blessed in so many ways!

Safe travels and I hope that yours continue to do well and will be thriving upon your return.

So the black one is doing great! The other poor one ended up dying yesterday. His intestines were out and the yolk sac didn't get absorbed. Not sure why...this one hatched later and took longer.

Since only the black one made it, he seemed lonely, (chirped really loudly for hours last night), and we wanted him to be socialized for when he joins his big chicken family at our friend's farm in a few weeks, so I ended up buying a baby chicken today to keep it company. They are doing well together and our little one is so much happier it seems. Moving around more, eating/drinking whenever the other one does and has a little friend to snuggle up to sleep near.

Thanks again for all of your help! This was certainly an incredible experience and I learned a lot! I'm in awe when I hold our tiny little guy. He is perfect and it was an amazing process to be a part of. :) Best wishes to all of you and your chicks!

Finally getting pictures of mine. The small one is struggling.. I fear I may lose him/her. I am giving it water with a dropper, as the other one drinks so much on it's own. Hoping the little one comes around better. Peeps a lot, likes having the other one's company, but doesn't get up and walk around as much. Come on little one!

The person I got these eggs from was very kind to send me more free of charge. There
were a lot of clear, and a lot with fluid in the top of the eggs. The air sacs were awful.
Got the replacement eggs yesterday. No fluid on the top of these! Some of the air sacs
look bad, but most are looking better than this last bunch. These are Favorelle babies.
Love them. I have a bantam, these are Large Fowl

They are adorable! I hope the little one continues to grow and thrive.
jumpy.gif

That's great that you were able to get more, and at no cost. Hopefully, the next ones will do really well! Thanks for sharing the pictures...there is just something so sweet about little yellow chicks!

Thanks again for all of your help. Best wishes for more success!

They are adorable! I hope the little one continues to grow and thrive.
jumpy.gif

That's great that you were able to get more, and at no cost. Hopefully, the next ones will do really well! Thanks for sharing the pictures...there is just something so sweet about little yellow chicks!

Thanks again for all of your help. Best wishes for more success!

Little yellow chicks are fun. It's interesting how they can change. This is a photo of my bantam Favorelle..and why I decided on getting the large fowl.

She is broody right now. :)
LL

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, she is big! And beautiful! And broody...more chicks coming your way soon? Do you have your own rooster?

I have no idea what my little black chick is. He is growing like crazy though! It's amazing to watch. :) How is your little one tonight? Any improvement?

Astonishing how quickly they grow and change in such a short time. Great to hear when there is a positive outcome. Still can't get over seeing an egg hatch and in two months have a half sized version of mommy/daddy.
Chicks got to meet their older brothers/sisters today. Just dwarfed... As my son says "welcome to the world little guys." Lot of growing to do. Hope this hatch and the next do well.

Back
Top Bottom