Does this look more like Marek’s or a vitamin deficiency?

Yes, deficiency of some B-vitamins can be responsible for leg weakness and limping.
She doesn't appear to be doing too well today. She's constantly having seizures. I guess it's more likely to be Marek's :(
She's also not interested in eating anything but bread and I have to force feed her vitamins now because she won't eat them herself anymore. She was doing so good yesterday. I guess I got my hopes up too much

So if its marek's you must kill all other hens or some can live with it and get healthy, or you must get rid of all if one have marek's? Just asking because I suspect that one of my pullet died of marek's.
Some are affected, some never will be. It's really just up to each individual bird on how they're affected. If they were vaccinated, they could carry it and never show a symptom. Or they could show symptoms but never get bad.

I wouldn't cull an entire flock unless you have proof on paper that they are positive for it. Even then, I personally would only cull when necessary. Just make sure that you keep a closed flock. No birds leave.

Hey, it's been been two weeks tomorrow since the seizures started and she's doing the same-ish. She has an appetite but not for normal chicken food. The only thing she'll readily eat is bread and sometimes cat food. (She's been like this the whole time since the seizures started). She still drinks water on her own although I have to gently push head forward (it stops the seizures somehow) after every sip otherwise she'll have constant seizures. She won't bite into bread anymore though, I have to break it into bite sized pieces (she appears to have cracked her beak, maybe that's why?)
Does this still sound like Marek’s or would she have died already or gone downhill rapidly? She was limping before but she isn't anymore. She has a vet appointment on Monday, I'm going to see if they can do anything to help her. Also she acts totally fine between these episodes.
The pullet I had that I spoke of there was having seizures about every 90 seconds. She was still eating and drinking on her own. I put her down when the seizures started. Hers were BAD.

I don't feel comfortable saying that it is or isn't. Marek's doesn't have a uniform signature. No two cases are ever exactly the same. One of my pullets would have issues with her legs (lameness) for a couple weeks, then snap out of it and be fine for a month or so. One died within a couple days. One a few weeks. Two I put down.

I think the vet is a good idea. I also think that if you're going to continue special care, you need to invest in a food scale to weigh her. If she's not eating well, she could be too thin to bring back before you know it.

I doubt this is how Marek's would present in a FIVE year old chicken..

What is her USUAL feed, including treats and supplements.. WHY would she be facing a nutrient deficit? Has her droppings ever been tested for internal parasites?

HOW is she getting any nutrients while seizing?? An electrolyte imbalance/DEHYDRATION COULD cause that..Organs shutting down due to age, genetics, etc..

Ugh.. I'm sorry you face this! :(

:hugs
Her usual feed is normal layer pellets from my local Walmart.I read the ingredients and it's supplemented with vitamins so I don't think her normal feed is vitamin deficient. For treats she and the other birds sometimes get bread, dry cat food, chicken treats (mealworms and corn) and veggies and fruit. Her droppings have not been tested for parasites although I should probably have the vet do that (she has an appointment this Monday). She eats when she's not seizing, I have her indoors and I'm taking extra care of her since she's having seizures. I don't think it's caused by dehydration since she was drinking fine before this happened.

I guess it's good that I'm probably not dealing with Marek's then for the sake of the other birds but now I have no idea what the problem is 😬
Marek's is awful, that's no doubt! But it doesn't wipe out entire flocks usually (20% perhaps of younger birds here).. Vaccinated birds are not welcome here to HIDE the disease since I breed my birds. But if it's of concern for you, then be sure to order vaccinated chicks ONLY and quarantine them while it takes effect!

I mentioned in my previous post.. aging is not pretty. And it might just be somethings not going right anymore. Many, many things that are not contagious or husbandry related do effect poultry.

Hang in there! :fl

Ugh.. I wish I could give you a straight answer.. She is definitely aged. Marek's can only be verified via necropsy or a blood test. :barnie

At her age.. I personally would euthanize instead of watching her go down hill slowly.. You've done all you can, in my honest opinion.

BUT if seeing the vet will give you peace of mind on what decision to make going forward and NOT break the bank.. and MAYBE do something for her.. I spent $1000 several months back to confirm prognosis which I had already assessed.. my dogs life had ran it's course (age, cancer symptoms, plus hip dysplasia/arthritis, etc).. I NEEDED a professional opinion from a veterinarian I trusted in order to relieve myself of that anguish and making the decision to have the vet stop her heart.. It still hurts.. but my friend, Daisy May lived a good life and every last moment.. I'm glad I was able to do that for her! Swallow, gulp, deeep exhale, tears flow.. :hit My mom, on the other hand.. was sedated, without food or water (no IV etc).. while her body shut down from the liver cancer last year.. what we like to call "hospice".. and humane.. In other words.. all life ends.. it's never pretty.. are you gonna be able to extend her life for her benefit and will it last long enough to face this again? I'm a TOTAL "Debbie Downer" realist.. so please do in accordance with YOUR heart and mind! This is my answer regarding PETS. I'd be surprised if you get answers, short of necropsy/blood test. BUT always hopeful, some vets really rock! I've shown clearly, thankfully, I do NOT know everything!

I breed my birds, so I won't keep an animal that is not thriving under my conditions (unless changes make sense).. because it does a disservice to my entire well being (caring for failing animals is heart wrenching exhausting), my flock, etc.. inviting more internal/external parasite, disease, predation.. and so on..

Folks like to point fingers at big dairy and big chicken, etc.. when in truth, suffering animals are not productive and back yarder's want to save everything for as long as they possibly can.. letting it limp around and barely get by.. because we THINK that's "living" or it "wants" to live or "has the will" still.. That's supper in nature, and SOMETIMES suffering, according to ME. Again, I understand we are ALL doing our best, usually. So I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.. just sharing information!

5 years is considered a good run for an average chicken. Some live longer. Many don't!

No matter how you proceed, we are here to support you! :hugs
Thank you. I am not quite ready to give up on her yet as she is a pet and I've gotten attached to her. I just want to see if there's anything they can do to help her before I make the decision to put her down. You're right, she has lived a long time and there's a good chance she could even be older than 5 years since I got her as an full grown bird. I just hate to have that decision put in my hands. I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to be the one who decides that it's her time to go

If she has worms, coccidiosis, or bacterial infection, it's possible that they could cause a vitamin deficiency by not allowing the gut to absorb the vitamins. How does her poop look?
That makes sense, actually. Most of the time her poop is really watery and greenish although sometimes it will be solid or brown diarrhea. I can ask the vet to check her droppings for internal parasites

I just hate to have that decision put in my hands. I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to be the one who decides that it's her time to go
I don't THINK seizures are associated with pain usually but I'm not familiar with different types of seizures. The FEW I have seen in other animals.. muscles were engaged and stiff.. I don't think charlie horse status.. but if it last too long may be in danger of over heating essentially. Or the brain got stuck on repeat like a hiccup.

You've got the vet in your corner already, that's fantastic!

Please make a list of questions you have and symptoms plus what you've done, as it will be hard to remember when you get in there. Take notes on the answer if needed!

Consider NOW, if the vet says prognosis is poor or recommends euthanasia.. will you allow it be done at that time, schedule for a future date after you've said farewell?

Hope she pulls through and SHOWS us, Ol' lady, still got game! :fl

Back
Top Bottom