Does this look more like Marek’s or a vitamin deficiency?

The pullet I had that I spoke of there was having seizures about every 90 seconds. She was still eating and drinking on her own. I put her down when the seizures started. Hers were BAD.

I don't feel comfortable saying that it is or isn't. Marek's doesn't have a uniform signature. No two cases are ever exactly the same. One of my pullets would have issues with her legs (lameness) for a couple weeks, then snap out of it and be fine for a month or so. One died within a couple days. One a few weeks. Two I put down.

I think the vet is a good idea. I also think that if you're going to continue special care, you need to invest in a food scale to weigh her. If she's not eating well, she could be too thin to bring back before you know it.
I did weigh her earlier today. I used a human scale while holding her and subtracted my normal weight from that. She seems to weigh the same-ish. 4.8 pounds if my math was correct, as opposed to beforehand she was 5 pounds. If it's accurate she hasn't lost much weight

I doubt this is how Marek's would present in a FIVE year old chicken..

What is her USUAL feed, including treats and supplements.. WHY would she be facing a nutrient deficit? Has her droppings ever been tested for internal parasites?

HOW is she getting any nutrients while seizing?? An electrolyte imbalance COULD cause that..Organs shutting down due to age, genetics, etc..

Ugh.. I'm sorry you face this! :(

:hugs
Oh the bird is 5 years old?? I missed that. Yeah, I doubt you're dealing with Marek's.

I did weigh her earlier today. I used a human scale while holding her and subtracted my normal weight from that. She seems to weigh the same-ish. 4.8 pounds if my math was correct, as opposed to beforehand she was 5 pounds. If it's accurate she hasn't lost much weight
You need a food scale. With chickens, every gram counts. A human scale (lbs) isn't sensitive enough.

I doubt this is how Marek's would present in a FIVE year old chicken..

What is her USUAL feed, including treats and supplements.. WHY would she be facing a nutrient deficit? Has her droppings ever been tested for internal parasites?

HOW is she getting any nutrients while seizing?? An electrolyte imbalance/DEHYDRATION COULD cause that..Organs shutting down due to age, genetics, etc..

Ugh.. I'm sorry you face this! :(

:hugs
Her usual feed is normal layer pellets from my local Walmart.I read the ingredients and it's supplemented with vitamins so I don't think her normal feed is vitamin deficient. For treats she and the other birds sometimes get bread, dry cat food, chicken treats (mealworms and corn) and veggies and fruit. Her droppings have not been tested for parasites although I should probably have the vet do that (she has an appointment this Monday). She eats when she's not seizing, I have her indoors and I'm taking extra care of her since she's having seizures. I don't think it's caused by dehydration since she was drinking fine before this happened.

Back
Top Bottom