Does this shed have enough ventilation?

I looked a lot closer at your suggested coop from post 1.

It's not bad for 4 chickens. It would need a bit of modification for your climate. Maybe a ridge vent so venting is at highest possible point and in winter the roost level vents can be closed.

The nest box design will need adjusted since lifting a nest box lid covered in snow is difficult and it isn't water tight. My suggestion is to make the nest box access on the back of the nests.

I do understand the restrictions of a smaller yard and city codes.
True, I didn't think about lifting the nest box door. Where would you suggest the nest door hinge at the minimize the chances of water getting in?

I think that will help a lot, as it bumps the vent openings up another 6" maybe? And that combined with lowering the higher roost should help keep the cross ventilation up above their heads.
Would just the two triangles of ventilation be enough though? Im not sure exactly how big they would be. I could keep the long side one for during the summer and close it up in the winter.

Would just the two triangles of ventilation be enough though? Im not sure exactly how big they would be. I could keep the long side one for during the summer and close it up in the winter.
You'd need to measure or calculate to check the exact amount of ventilation provided - you might need to drop the bottom of the triangle down lower than where the top of the rectangle vent sits, for example. Ideally you'd want around 4 sq ft open year round, and the option of a lot more in summer, but the nice thing about using the triangles is that is the highest point of the roof and with both sides cut out, that gives you cross ventilation to help push out ammonia and moisture.

Back
Top Bottom