Does this sound like a snake??

Heh! I'd be happy to have snakes coming around... but I'm not afraid of them. Every snake deserves respect, but unlike spiders, not all snakes are venomous. They're marvelous rodent control, though. Unfortunately, the big bull snakes that should be here eliminating my pocket gopher problem won't come near, because of the horses - they're very sensitive to vibrations in the ground.

But then, I also have fifteen pet snakes that I use for educational demonstrations, to help STOP people from killing all the harmless, beneficial snakes in this area. Even the rattlers here would much prefer to just be left alone - that's why they have a rattle. To warn danger away, so they don't have to bite it to defend themselves.

I absolutely love colby cheese. I used to buy it by the 14# wheel. When I was nursing my first born, my lunch every single day was a toasted colby and tomato sandwich. (Well... make that 2 sandwiches! One for me, and one for the baby!) I'd think I'd died and gone to cheese heaven if I had access to all that cheese. Perhaps we'll have to come visit you. Then, you can visit us, and we'll show you what real lobstah tastes like!!!

Oh ye

Oh yes. He loves them... I'm like what I's that a rock?? He's like no, it' a tick! Very proud of himself.

Slugs? ?! Ughhhhh... gross!! :sick
We don't see a lot of those around here.

:sick

My effort at educating the populace regarding the benefits of snakes didn't go so well. Once, when the neighborhood kids were young (mine included) I chased down a huge garter snake. I wanted to catch it so the kids could see it up close, and touch it, and see that they were harmless. Well, that thing reared back and bit me b/c I didn't have it right behind the head. Latched on and drew blood. Yeah, they are not venemous, but they have rasps on their jaws and evidently their saliva is quite the irritant. That area burned for over a week!

I absolutely love colby cheese. I used to buy it by the 14# wheel. When I was nursing my first born, my lunch every single day was a toasted colby and tomato sandwich. (Well... make that 2 sandwiches! One for me, and one for the baby!) I'd think I'd died and gone to cheese heaven if I had access to all that cheese. Perhaps we'll have to come visit you. Then, you can visit us, and we'll show you what real lobstah tastes like!!!
That sandwhich sounds incredible. I have a 4 month old that is nursing... I am starving constantly!

:sick

My effort at educating the populace regarding the benefits of snakes didn't go so well. Once, when the neighborhood kids were young (mine included) I chased down a huge garter snake. I wanted to catch it so the kids could see it up close, and touch it, and see that they were harmless. Well, that thing reared back and bit me b/c I didn't have it right behind the head. Latched on and drew blood. Yeah, they are not venemous, but they have rasps on their jaws and evidently their saliva is quite the irritant. That area burned for over a week!

You probably got a bit of bile in the saliva. Snake bile is highly acidic, since it has to digest fur, bones and all. It's always a good idea to scrub out any bite very thoroughly immediately afterwards, since you don't know what might be in the saliva. I've been bitten a few times - but even my biggest snake can't leave a bite as nasty as one of my cats does, when he's just playing! Fortunately, I've broken him of that... for the most part... since adopting him.

Heh! I'd be happy to have snakes coming around... but I'm not afraid of them. Every snake deserves respect, but unlike spiders, not all snakes are venomous. They're marvelous rodent control, though. Unfortunately, the big bull snakes that should be here eliminating my pocket gopher problem won't come near, because of the horses - they're very sensitive to vibrations in the ground.

But then, I also have fifteen pet snakes that I use for educational demonstrations, to help STOP people from killing all the harmless, beneficial snakes in this area. Even the rattlers here would much prefer to just be left alone - that's why they have a rattle. To warn danger away, so they don't have to bite it to defend themselves.

Agree... off subject but water moccasins (sp??) Freak me out. Is it true that they swim totally on top of the water as opposed to non venomous swimming with just their head above? We have several of those in the area...

That sounds exactly like our possum... it took us awhile to figure it out also... I had lost a silkie hen a few weeks prior to losing the sebright but we were out of town for a few days when it happened so I actually had been blaming one of our young cats for it. I hadn' thought until just now but I bet the possum killed her too!!! :mad: I hope you find your sebright. I really enjoyed mine. I do have two babies we hatched that from her and a blue silkie roo. Cant wait to see how they'll grow out! They have 5 toes, are black and seem too be getting poofs on their heads.
:gigin tiny sebright body builds!!

Also sorry about your buff... I love the orpingtons! those are our favorite laying chickens we've had so far. They'e sweethearts. :love

Can I see a pic of this cross? It sounds so cute

Back
Top Bottom