Does this wound look like it is healing okay?

dingoscout

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Hi,

Does this wound look like it is healing okay? It is about 24 hours old. See the swollen lump, is that infection. Is the yellowish tone puss?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Sexlink, about 8 months old, not sure of weight but very healthy seeming, a decent weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
light wimpers all day
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She got the wound yesterday. She got bit on the tail by a dog that was visiting my neighbor.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Another bird got attacked too.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Yes it bled, I don't think there is anything broken, her eyes seem alert, she eats and drinks, she laid an egg this morning.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She flew out of her pen and the visiting dog went after her.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
pumpkin seeds, feed, oats, apple, banana, spinach, sweet potato and drinking water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
poop looks normal, not runny, but stinky
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I made a solution with a little very basic bar soap, like glycerin based clear no perfume. I syringe washed the area, then rinsed with syringe of water. I poured hydrogen peroxide over the area. I kept her in a cage inside as it was getting down to 36 last night. There is fresh hay bedding. Today I put neosporin on it twice.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself if possible
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is in a wire cage 2x3 feet with fresh hay bedding. She is with the other chicken that was injured. I had them separate but they were not happy. When I put them together they were happier. The bald areas and wounds are covered with feathers so they have not picked at each others wounds. We are in the room with them all day and monitor it.

Thanks for any advice!

Christy

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 27
hi Christy,
i have had ducks and chickens attacked many times and what i usually do it tip betadine antiseptic spray or liquid on to the opened wound once a day (yes it is for humans but i have always used it on my poultry pets and it had healed them with no infection). after any dog has attacked my chickens or ducks i sucure them in a pen away from other chickens and keep it clean. there is a little worry for that wound that it looked very opened i would keep a close eye on it!

Thank you for replying. I don't have a photo of it from yesterday. I will take another tomorrow.

It mainly looked like an area without skin, with chicken flesh showing and some blood, possible a little bone showing. The skin seems too be moving inward like it is closing. It is just the swollen bump and yellow that are more new.

Thank you for replying. I don't have a photo of it from yesterday. I will take another tomorrow.

It mainly looked like an area without skin, with chicken flesh showing and some blood, possible a little bone showing. The skin seems too be moving inward like it is closing. It is just the swollen bump and yellow that are more new.

keep neosporin on it. it will heal up eventually. you will notice chickens heal really fast. so give her some electrolites in her water to keep her energy up. she should be ok as long as she don't get an infection. keep her away from other chickens and keep an eye out for infection. she will be ok it don't seem to be too bad. i seen worse on my chickens and they recovered fast.

hi Christy,
i have had ducks and chickens attacked many times and what i usually do it tip betadine antiseptic spray or liquid on to the opened wound once a day (yes it is for humans but i have always used it on my poultry pets and it had healed them with no infection). after any dog has attacked my chickens or ducks i sucure them in a pen away from other chickens and keep it clean. there is a little worry for that wound that it looked very opened i would keep a close eye on it!
I am wondering if infection already started, if keeping it clean is enough. I put thee neosporin on it to make a barrier from germs in area as well to help fight infection.

Do you think the Betadine would work better?

keep neosporin on it. it will heal up eventually. you will notice chickens heal really fast. so give her some electrolites in her water to keep her energy up. she should be ok as long as she don't get an infection. keep her away from other chickens and keep an eye out for infection. she will be ok it don't seem to be too bad. i seen worse on my chickens and they recovered fast.
What does infection look like on a chicken?

I am wondering if infection already started, if keeping it clean is enough. I put thee neosporin on it to make a barrier from germs in area as well to help fight infection.

Some people i know say to use betadine but I have never used it.
Some people say it is not good to use. Neosporin is all i can suggest as it is what I use.
infection will look the same as in a human, puss etc, discoloration of the area and panting from fever.

if you keep neosporin on it it should keep it from getting infected is you use the triple antibiotic formula one. but DON'T get the kind with pain reliever. It is toxic to chickens.

im not sure what would work better as i havent used the neosporin before ive always used betadine and it has always helped. but im sure they would be both okay either one. just to stop the infection. i was worried more about the flys in the opened wound but im not sure what season they are in haha!

Back
Top Bottom