does young crowing cockerel = obnoxious crowing roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Oct 22, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Curious to hear your reports on this...

If a cockerel starts crowing at a very young age (a few weeks old), does that mean he will end up being an obnoxious always-crowing rooster when older?

And if a cockerel starts crowing late in life (5+ months...), does that mean he will be less inclined to be a loud-mouth when mature?

Or is there no corrolation at all and it's just down to the individual rooster & place on the totem pole?

[​IMG]

2. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm no expert, but we've raised two roos. The first one started crowing late. Our new one started at 6-7 weeks. As adults, they ended up with just about the same crowing habits. I had the same question a few months back when our young one started crowing and posted in an old thread with lots of good info on the topic:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=276743

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our roo started crowing at about 12 weeks, and he crows ALL THE TIME now. Luckily we don't have any neighbors.

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    My roo was mute for 20 weeks then all of a sudden he was crowing, first softly, then uncontrollably, all day long! Totally unpredictable!

5. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    I like crowing. We picked Jimbo because of it and most importantly, his demeanor. I suppose if you have neighbors nearby (we don't) they might consider it "obnoxious".

[​IMG]

JIMBO

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    nah, I doubt it would really make any difference because roos crow for so many different reasons. How old is he starting crowing?

7. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have two Sultan roos that started crowing in the BROODER box and are 26 wks now and still trying to outdo each other in their crowing abilities.

8. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Barred Rock roo started crowing early; CB Maran started early; Faverolles roos crowing late; Rock x Maran roos, only one crowing but both will be late; L Sussex crowing late. LS is top roo, followed by BR and CB Maran then Buff Brahma (he crowed for a couple of days but gave it up). Makes no odds as far as I can see...

9. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I have a Light Sussex Bantam that doesn't seem to know when to stop when he crows - especially @ 5 am when it starts getting bright. Within 2 weeks of getting him we were ready to wring his neck - literally! We have 3 other roosters in a flock separated from them (just across the yard). I wonder if his obnoxious crowing was due to getting settled in and establishing himself with the other roosters. I haven't noticed him crowing much the past few weeks - but that could be because we moved his coop to the front of the house and it's darker here in the mornings! Any thoughts???

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I`ve raised hundreds of roosters and I gotta tell ya that they crow when the urge hits them, whether it`s 2 AM or 2 PM, or anytime in between. It there is a competitor rooster, the crowing will sometimes be more prevalent, but only because most of the feel the need to crow when they hear a crow. I like the crowing. Probably a good thing since I keep so many.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by