Does your duck house have a floor?

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
Greetings, duckish folks!

I am in the process of building a 4 x 4' shed for my little sis, in the hope of her getting three ducks. Would it be better to put on a plywood floor and raise it on cement blocks like you'd do for chickens, or just put it on the ground on some sort of thin support? Can ducks sleep on the ground, albeit with a thick layer of bedding? I'm just afraid the walls of the house will rot.
Any thoughts?
hu.gif

It is only about 3' high with a slanted yet-to-be-put-on roof, FYI.

I put my house on skids. that way when it gets nasty under the floor I can slide it off to a new spot and rototiller in the old poo.

my floor is 2 x 4 lumber cut on a 15* angle to make it stand on edge. its way hard to make and takes time. its worth it to the ducks and geese as its less likely to tear a foot then wire flooring.

it takes about 2 minutes to wash down booth coops and fill the water buckets. makes my life easy.

Last edited:
Is the coop inside a pen? If the coop doesn't have a floor I'd be afraid a predator could dig underneath to get the ducks.

We had hardware cloth floor raised off the ground in our duck house (about 6-8 inches off ground). Within two weeks of putting the ducks out in the house at night we found out why....something tried to burrow under and couldn't get in. Our drake house is raised on trailer bed with solid floor - much more difficult to clean. I used stall mats in the hen house with bedding in winter for extra warmth.

I also use hardware cloth for my floor, I cover it with straw and/or wood shavings. I even shredded some cardboard and tried that one, but it was meh so I haven't bother with it again.

Here is a picture of the duck house I made. It is 4'x6'

I think I'll get some extra hardware cloth (I was already going to get some for the window on the front) and make a platform like grawg's. Great idea!!! I want the house to be semi-permanent so i can move it if I need to, so that looks like a good option.
big_smile.png

If I get treated 2x4s, can it sit right on the ground without rotting?

I knew the BYCers would have some great ideas! I make sure I post pictures once it is finished!

We built our ducks 'mini barn' up on basically a deck.. they were huge, industrial skids.. so the floor is wood.. and then we put rubber stall mats down. It's very solid.. and it being elevated keeps the wood from rotting...

Mine was supposed to be mobile...but after walls and the roof it turned out heavier than expected. I still have some old lawnmower wheels I might attach this spring/summer and with well designed handles I could move it pretty easily. Most of my build is pictured on my profile page or I suppose my public photo album now?

How do we see a members public album?

Mine was supposed to be mobile...but after walls and the roof it turned out heavier than expected. I still have some old lawnmower wheels I might attach this spring/summer and with well designed handles I could move it pretty easily. Most of my build is pictured on my profile page or I suppose my public photo album now?

Back
Top Bottom