Doesn't look like or sound like a chicken

thegirlsmeand1

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014

Hello Everyone! I have been browsing BYC for about 18 months and just signed on today. I have had chickens full time since April. For Mother's Day my family surprised me and came over and spend Saturday before and built me my chicken coop! It's beautiful! So are my children!!

1) What breed is she? This is Dot, for obvious reasons. She is about 8 months old and the size of a pigeon, which many who see her ask if she is a pigeon! Small, compared to my 9 other hens (9 different other breeds), but can hold her own. Even to taking food from the others beaks! As well as from the rooster, Floyd!! He's a bit afraid of her.

2) My chicken yard is wet and getting muddy so I laid out 2 bales of hay which is now getting wet. Do I keep the yard dry? And is there something better than straw? My chicken yard 25' x 15' with a fence (made with chicken wire) 10' high, cuz Dot flies! At first we had only a 6' fence but had to add an additional 4 feet'! And she still manages to get up and out!! Next spring we are expanding the yard by another 100 sq feet.

3) Magpies are flying in to the yard. Is this a problem? We do not have netting over the top. Should a top be put over it?

4) A squirrel loves eating from the treat block...Is this a problem?

5) Raccoon took 2 of my hens back in May, my husband shot and killed it. We heard from others about male (human) urine and it seemed to do the trick for 5 months, until October when we woke up to our dog barking his head off at 2am. He was in the house with us. His barking scared the raccoons (3) up a tree and we went out and shot and killed all 3 with a shot-gun! Would have had coon-skin hats made but not at a cost of $200 each!! Is there any other means to protect your flock from raccoons?

I have chickens for pets only. It's been kinda hard knowing what to do with all the eggs we get. My husband is vegan and I can't eat 42+ eggs a week myself! Neighbors are loving me and my girls! Next year I'm adding honey bees and a couple of miniature goats. We are empty nesters. I love to paint (watercolor) and each time I sit down, nothing comes to mind. I've lost something and so decided to go into chickens like 2 of my daughters. It's been a lot of fun! They come running each time I call out, "Good morning girls!"

Well, I think that is enough for my first time. Any input about my 5 questions would be helpful. Thanks.

Hello Everyone! I have been browsing BYC for about 18 months and just signed on today. I have had chickens full time since April. For Mother's Day my family surprised me and came over and spend Saturday before and built me my chicken coop! It's beautiful! So are my children!!

1) What breed is she? This is Dot, for obvious reasons. She is about 8 months old and the size of a pigeon, which many who see her ask if she is a pigeon! Small, compared to my 9 other hens (9 different other breeds), but can hold her own. Even to taking food from the others beaks! As well as from the rooster, Floyd!! He's a bit afraid of her.

2) My chicken yard is wet and getting muddy so I laid out 2 bales of hay which is now getting wet. Do I keep the yard dry? And is there something better than straw? My chicken yard 25' x 15' with a fence (made with chicken wire) 10' high, cuz Dot flies! At first we had only a 6' fence but had to add an additional 4 feet'! And she still manages to get up and out!! Next spring we are expanding the yard by another 100 sq feet.

3) Magpies are flying in to the yard. Is this a problem? We do not have netting over the top. Should a top be put over it?

4) A squirrel loves eating from the treat block...Is this a problem?

5) Raccoon took 2 of my hens back in May, my husband shot and killed it. We heard from others about male (human) urine and it seemed to do the trick for 5 months, until October when we woke up to our dog barking his head off at 2am. He was in the house with us. His barking scared the raccoons (3) up a tree and we went out and shot and killed all 3 with a shot-gun! Would have had coon-skin hats made but not at a cost of $200 each!! Is there any other means to protect your flock from raccoons?

I have chickens for pets only. It's been kinda hard knowing what to do with all the eggs we get. My husband is vegan and I can't eat 42+ eggs a week myself! Neighbors are loving me and my girls! Next year I'm adding honey bees and a couple of miniature goats. We are empty nesters. I love to paint (watercolor) and each time I sit down, nothing comes to mind. I've lost something and so decided to go into chickens like 2 of my daughters. It's been a lot of fun! They come running each time I call out, "Good morning girls!"

Well, I think that is enough for my first time. Any input about my 5 questions would be helpful. Thanks.
Hi and welcome -glad you've taken the leap and joined in the fun!

1 - pretty little bantam - possibly a rosecomb bantam - can you get a better shot of her comb?
2 - short of covering the entire run there is little to do to keep the weather out. I have never worried about keeping the run dry so long as my flock has access to a sufficient dry shelter area (ie the coop)
3- wild birds are a problem in that they can carry in disease and they are gluttons who will easily double or triple your feed bill with little effort. *I* would use bird netting to keep them out and help keep Dot in.
4- like the wild birds, other wildlife like the squirrel can bring disease and cost you plenty in feed costs. Also, if the squirrel is able to get in, other animals can also get in and this includes predatory animals who can/will wreak havoc on your flock
5-this is what I'm talking about in #4 - things you will need to do to predator proof your enclosure will depend on how the enclosure is currently constructed. Post some photos of your setup and we can help you identify the steps that will make your flock safer.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone! I have been browsing BYC for about 18 months and just signed on today. I have had chickens full time since April. For Mother's Day my family surprised me and came over and spend Saturday before and built me my chicken coop! It's beautiful! So are my children!! 1) What breed is she? This is Dot, for obvious reasons. She is about 8 months old and the size of a pigeon, which many who see her ask if she is a pigeon! Small, compared to my 9 other hens (9 different other breeds), but can hold her own. Even to taking food from the others beaks! As well as from the rooster, Floyd!! He's a bit afraid of her. 2) My chicken yard is wet and getting muddy so I laid out 2 bales of hay which is now getting wet. Do I keep the yard dry? And is there something better than straw? My chicken yard 25' x 15' with a fence (made with chicken wire) 10' high, cuz Dot flies! At first we had only a 6' fence but had to add an additional 4 feet'! And she still manages to get up and out!! Next spring we are expanding the yard by another 100 sq feet. 3) Magpies are flying in to the yard. Is this a problem? We do not have netting over the top. Should a top be put over it? 4) A squirrel loves eating from the treat block...Is this a problem? 5) Raccoon took 2 of my hens back in May, my husband shot and killed it. We heard from others about male (human) urine and it seemed to do the trick for 5 months, until October when we woke up to our dog barking his head off at 2am. He was in the house with us. His barking scared the raccoons (3) up a tree and we went out and shot and killed all 3 with a shot-gun! Would have had coon-skin hats made but not at a cost of $200 each!! Is there any other means to protect your flock from raccoons? I have chickens for pets only. It's been kinda hard knowing what to do with all the eggs we get. My husband is vegan and I can't eat 42+ eggs a week myself! Neighbors are loving me and my girls! Next year I'm adding honey bees and a couple of miniature goats. We are empty nesters. I love to paint (watercolor) and each time I sit down, nothing comes to mind. I've lost something and so decided to go into chickens like 2 of my daughters. It's been a lot of fun! They come running each time I call out, "Good morning girls!" Well, I think that is enough for my first time. Any input about my 5 questions would be helpful. Thanks.
Hello and welcome to BYC !!!! 1) 100% you have got a lovely white splash old english bantam. Shes is beautiful. If you search splash old english bantams you will come up with identical chickens :) 2. I have used hay in my yard in the past but chippings are the way to go !! They take ages to degrade, look lovely and dry rather than rot the only negative to them is they bring alot of mushrooms . 3. Depending on how far the birds interact with yard and chickens. All wild birds can bring deseises and mites to your flock but if they are just feeding on the surroundings and not your chicken food they should be fine. We have had only one incident were wild birds caused problem which was when a lonely pheasant male started interacting with my flock and eventually gave them all lice!!! So he had to go. 4. Squirrels are much more of a pest than wild birds i would definetely try and get rid of them as they dont just eat and spread diseases they can also eat your chickens eggs and our neighbour even had one hungry squirrel take and eat two of her chicks so i would keep an eye out . 5. Sorry i can't help you with raccoon trouble as we dont get them here in England luckily . Hope this helps

She looks like a Splash Dutch Bantam or Splash Andalusian Bantam. She's not an Old English Game, as they would have red earlobes. She's very pretty!

Sorry you can't see above picture. Maybe you can see this one:

images

Looks like a chicken to me - an adorable little girl - bantams may have the 'Chihuahua" syndrome - where they think they are the biggest birds on the block- and don't let others push them around.

Back
Top Bottom