Dog Attack!! šŸ˜­ Need advice

MamaKeke

Hatching
Oct 4, 2022
One of my ducklings was attacked yesterday and idk what I should do. It can't walk and isn't eating but has been drinking water. I really don't want to euthanize but don't want to see it suffer either. There seems to be a hard knot on its neck and it's body is stiff. He can move his neck and head but I'm really wanting advice on what to do

Attachments

• 16649284571408651448027450280851.jpg
    16649284571408651448027450280851.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 3
Where are all the wounds? did you clean them up and how deep? shock can take a while to recover from. Make sure all wounds are cleaned with saline to wash any bacteria out then apply some type of antibiotic ointment. Is there a bite wound on the neck? best way to clean is to clip the feathers away from the wound. Keep the little one warm and quiet. And if you can get a vet to look at it that would be the best way to go.
tell us where all the wounds are and was the duckling picked up and shaken?
@casportpony

Poor dear!

I would add to give him some electrolyte solution to drink, since he is doing that. It will help him get over the shock a bit faster. If you don't have any, there are recipes online, or you can make a simple sugar-water solution.

Wish your reason for joining us was happier. :( But you've come to the right place.

Following this thread. My naughty Pyrenees attacked 2 hens today. Looks like one has at least one puncture on her back, 1/4" deep or so.

Can I use nasal saline to wash the wounds? I have that on hand. Fortunately I have electrolyte solution and topical antibiotic (from various past neighbor dog attacks).

Yes, training the dog or restricting access are on the list. Thanks in advance!

Agree with ALL the above..it's good it's drinking..give electrolytes and maybe molasses and water. Not sugar water..molasses particularly black strap has all the minerals ect .Check for wounds and clean well..keep it inside and comfy...Shock should wear off by morning It's a good sign if it's still with you. I've had the neighbors dog get one of mine and it looked awful ...is the above and by morning she had become more active..kept her inside..contained. she did recover but was fearful and didn't lay eggs for about a month...Best to you and the lil one

Back
Top Bottom