dog attack - eaten to the bone

chickengr

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
hi,
what can I use on the wound? I cleaned it with iodine and peroxide but then found out it is not good to use more than once/twice. I prepared saline to continue. I have read about wet to dry - looks like a good idea but I am not sure if I can use it in this case.if I can use this do I put saline only or I can put ointment as well?

I also put some oxytetracycline spray but it seems it burns. I have a home made remedy with olive oil but don't know the ingredients. is st. johns wort oil safe to use if she is in the house, no sunshine?

I also give her aspirin and baytril. she is such a fighter, does not show she is in pain. she stands on her feet and even her wings are not droopy. it has been about 14 hours since the attack. she made it through the night.

please advise me how to treat this wound.

Hi, I'm no expert but I'd say you are doing a mighty fine job so far. Broad spectrum antibiotics may help prevent secondary infections. I'll leave more specific advice to those who know better, but if you get no joy, then go with your gut instinct - it's not guesswork cos you've done such a good job so far.

All the best and let us know how things go.

Ct

Hi, I'm no expert but I'd say you are doing a mighty fine job so far. Broad spectrum antibiotics may help prevent secondary infections. I'll leave more specific advice to those who know better, but if you get no joy, then go with your gut instinct - it's not guesswork cos you've done such a good job so far.

All the best and let us know how things go.

Ct

thanks.

it seems that she had no meat, I checked on her sister. they are Mediterranean breed for eggs (leghorn type). maybe it is not as bad as it looked at the first sight. unfortunately she has a respiratory issue so she didn't need this thing now
he.gif

Bummer, I'd also add vitamin supplements or electrolytes to her water to help give her immune system a boost.

All the best

Ct

Bummer, I'd also add vitamin supplements or electrolytes to her water to help give her immune system a boost.

All the best

Ct

thanks.

I make electrolytes with honey. I also gave her nettle tea as she lost some blood. the biggest problem is to feed her as she is not interested at all. I managed to give her some egg yolk diluted in electrolytes water with a syringe and a few whole corns for energy. tube feeding is not an option here. we don't have feed I could use for that. but I have learned to put some corn and wheat in their mouth and liquids with a syringe. they usually start eating and drinking within 2-3 days. fingers crossed.

I managed to contact a vet assistant through facebook and she told me to use the antibiotic spray on the wound only, 3 x per day and to continue to give her antibiotics orally. I have 2 other birds in the cage and she sleeps on the cage so that they don't hurt her. she looks happy for the company and keeps watching what the other 2 are doing. I think this helped her to overcome stress.

Well top job I say!! Well done you. Fingers crossed but it looks positive so far. :thumbsup

Give yourself a pat on the back.

All the best
Ct

SAD UPDATE: she passed away in sleep. her digestion and kidneys stopped functioning. RIP blackie
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom