Dog attack killed most of flockšŸ˜­, advise on helping the survivors

SMGiff

Chirping
Mar 16, 2021
Heartbreakingly, a loose dog attacked our flock. It jumped our fence and killed 9 of out 13 chicks, including the best rooster ever (RIP Norton). Of the remaining four, two were pretty seriously injured, but are recovering. We moved them while we down sized, reinforced and removed all traces of the attack (the dog got stuck in the coop for a couple hour we think šŸ¤¬) from the coop and chick yard. A couple weeks ago they went back in the coop but, understandably, are not laying.

They are only a year old, can we expect them to ever lay eggs again?

Injuries were to the leg on one and back on the other. We are trying to figure out if we should plan on adding some new hens if my ladies probably wonā€™t lay again. I know nothing is absolute, but has anyone had eggs after an attack this serious? Our girls will be lovely lawn ornaments and bug eaters for their life, regardless. Thanks for any information.

My mom's flock was decimated by a mountain lion and the remaining hens eventually laid again. Just my two cents. I had a raccoon attack last spring but I caught him in time and no one was killed but the injured hen and everyone else laid again as well.

Heartbreakingly, a loose dog attacked our flock. It jumped our fence and killed 9 of out 13 chicks, including the best rooster ever (RIP Norton). Of the remaining four, two were pretty seriously injured, but are recovering. We moved them while we down sized, reinforced and removed all traces of the attack (the dog got stuck in the coop for a couple hour we think šŸ¤¬) from the coop and chick yard. A couple weeks ago they went back in the coop but, understandably, are not laying.

They are only a year old, can we expect them to ever lay eggs again?

Injuries were to the leg on one and back on the other. We are trying to figure out if we should plan on adding some new hens if my ladies probably wonā€™t lay again. I know nothing is absolute, but has anyone had eggs after an attack this serious? Our girls will be lovely lawn ornaments and bug eaters for their life, regardless. Thanks for any information.
I'm sorry to hear of your heartbreak.

Are their wounds healing up ok?

Once recovered, I would think they should come back into lay. We are approaching shorter days with reduced sunlight, so the hens may not come back into lay until after winter solstice which is in December. Personally, I wouldn't expect eggs until probably January, but hens can surprise you!

They are resilient and will adapt to the loss of their flock. They may be a bit more flighty for a good while but should settle down.

As for adding new birds...if there's room, then I don't see why not. Most of us add new birds every year or two to help keep production going through fall/winter. Older birds can take the winter off, so up and coming pullets can fill in with their winter egg laying. You may want to wait until spring and get some chicks are even POL Pullets - it all depends on how you're set-up and what you are looking for.

We have reinforced the yard and coop,new locks, higher fencing,stronger gate and door.

We also pressed charges against the owner. This was the third attack in the neighborhood this year by her dogs running loose.
Please keep us updated about how the charges are going. More often then not you will lose or you will win but the owner will just keep letting her dogs roam :mad:

Back
Top Bottom