Dog Attack PLEASE HELP

It'd probably be a good idea to have some Blu coat or something for feather picking on hand. If she has bald spots, whenever those feathers start growing back in, oftentimes (although not always) flockmates will pluck and eat the feathers as they break through the skin. You'll want to camouflage the areas until the feathers have grown in enough to not be so tempting. Hopefully this won't be an issue but it's good to know ahead of time
Could you give me a link to a reputable source? I mean, the chickens pick on each other, but it's more like a single peck on the head every once in a while.

Could you give me a link to a reputable source? I mean, the chickens pick on each other, but it's more like a single peck on the head every once in a while.
Like I mentioned, This certainly isn't guaranteed to happen. I was just letting you know it's a possibility. A source on flockmates plucking new feathers?

Edited to add that this could possibly happen whenever the feathers are growing in a very noticeable area. I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen. I only mentioned it so you could keep an eye on the areas and apply blukote if it becomes necessary. If not, that's great

Last edited:
I have had some success in deterring feather picking as they are regrowing by using a hen saddle. Two of my three recent rescues were completely plucked bare on their backs, butts, and tails (by own their friend, also rescued). The tail is still getting picked pretty badly on one, so I made an extra long saddle to cover it.

I've found blukote to attract pecking attention, including from the bird it was applied to.
You can get it at most any farm store, like tractor supply.

I've successfully used "peck no more" to deter birds from plucking their flockmates new feathers. I have blukote as it's referred to here more, but I haven't used it. I didn't use anything until I started to witness plucking.

Update: We let her sleep and decided we'd check on her in the morning because she didn't have any active bleeding. She has a few punctures from where her feathers were plucked and a small patch of bare skin slightly covered by her feathers. Luckily none of her flock-mates are pecking at her and she seems healthy. Our main concern is getting her to grow back her feathers. Does anybody know any supplements that will aid her?

Does anybody know any supplements that will aid her?

Chick starter is great for this--it's meant to have everything a baby chick needs to grow its body & feathers, which is the same stuff needed for a bird healing skin and growing new feathers.

Chick starter, water, and a dish of oyster shell really should contain everything she needs! The oyster shell is because laying hens need more calcium than baby chicks do, because of laying eggs.

Puncture or irritated feather pockets?
Pic might help here.

Only one?

Just a good chicken ration and fresh plain water.
We found one other, and they're mostly concealed when she's walking around. Sorry these are burry!

Attachments

• 20201114_151040.jpg
    20201114_151040.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201114_151022.jpg
    20201114_151022.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201114_151116.jpg
    20201114_151116.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201114_151128.jpg
    20201114_151128.jpg