Dog attack! Split skin behind head/neck/back

Forgive my accidental reply, I'll try again.

A neighborhood dog attacked got into our yard and attacked our Barred Rock when I'd let them out for their daily free-range. I was sick because I had heard that chickens die from fright. The back and neck skin had been torn off. I blogged about it on my website and it turned out to be my most visited article: http://www.backyardhencam.com/?s=dog+attack. I treated it much as has been suggested here, using Neosporin. The skin was gone so I couldn't suture it. I kept in lightly covered and changed the bandages daily. I used "vet wrap" around her body to keep everything in place and had to keep her in a cage for a few weeks. She survived and lived to be eight years old! Don't give up! :fl

About dog training......:love We have three labradoodle dogs and I trained them to leave the chickens alone by putting them on a long leash and sitting with them when the chickens were out. When they showed interest in the chickens passing by, I'd give a little jerk on the leash and say "LEAVE IT!". Within a day or two they got the idea and we've never had a problem.
Wishing you the best. I know it is sickening to have your hens harmed like that.:barnie
DSCN28431-1024x768.jpg
Our thoughts are with you.:frow

A neighborhood dog attacked got into our yard and attacked our Barred Rock when I'd let them out for their daily free-range. I was sick because I had heard that chickens die from fright. The back and neck skin had been torn off. I blogged about it on my website and it turned out to be my most visited article: http://www.backyardhencam.com/?s=dog+attack. I treated it much as has been suggested here, using Neosporin. The skin was gone so I couldn't suture it. I kept in lightly covered and changed the bandages daily. I used "vet wrap" around her body to keep everything in place and had to keep her in a cage for a few weeks. She survived and lived to be eight years old! Don't give up! :fl

About dog training......:love We have three labradoodle dogs and I trained them to leave the chickens alone by putting them on a long leash and sitting with them when the chickens were out. When they showed interest in the chickens passing by, I'd give a little jerk on the leash and say "LEAVE IT!". Within a day or two they got the idea and we've never had a problem.
Wishing you the best. I know it is sickening to have your hens harmed like that.:barnie
View attachment 2255326 Our thoughts are with you.:frow
Thank you!!! Good to hear recovery is possible. We have four dogs. One Border Collie who follows them around all day when they free range and would NEVER. It’s her life’s purpose. One dumb rat terrier who goes along with the crown sometimes (😡) and one rescue who is a murderer if he can sense a weak one. Doesn’t bother the healthy ones. And then we have the tiny old chihuahua who sleeps ALLL day and never does much of anything.... but is now a criminal. Ugh.

View attachment 2255326 Our thoughts are with you.:frow
Yes, its Nerve racking to say the least! Im glad she survived.
Thankfully, you saved the day!

Thank you! How long does it usually take for something like this to heal up, or at least be out of danger of infection?
Im on 3 weeks and still healing. But, because of the wounds, you want to make sure flys, nats dont lay eggs on them.
Scabs come off and then reform smaller n smaller
But. Because of the poop odor, I evicted them from inside and just moved them to a screened in porch with a fan. So far, so good for 3 days now. But, noticed I have to keep applying oint more perhaps because of the heat index. Idk. But I do.

Brief update: this sweet girl, known now as Stitches, is doing much better. She let me clip some more feathers today and I also found what I think was the last of those erroneous stitches I gave her. No blood in sight, just a lot of naked thin skin. No weird smells, lots of ointment, and she is eating and drinking just fine. She even relaxed while I cleaned up her feathers and found those last stitches, and fell asleep during the clean up!

Brief update: this sweet girl, known now as Stitches, is doing much better. She let me clip some more feathers today and I also found what I think was the last of those erroneous stitches I gave her. No blood in sight, just a lot of naked thin skin. No weird smells, lots of ointment, and she is eating and drinking just fine. She even relaxed while I cleaned up her feathers and found those last stitches, and fell asleep during the clean up!
It looks like you "Saved your lil Stitches" baby!!! Good going!
Biy, did you learn A Lot in the last 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom