Dog attack (warning: don't build your coops out of chicken wire! pix)

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
The other morning a FOUR DOG pack attacked my chicken pen!

HUNT0036.JPG

They tore chicken wire off the fence that was on top of welded wire, chewed stuff up and generally created a mess. Fortunately I build strong fences and the chickens were safe.
Word on the street is that they are recent dumps. I trapped one, 3 are still at large. Traps are set.

Just a warning to those who build chicken runs out of chicken wire only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I took some pictures of the wire and damage, but I'm working with limited wi-fi connectivity so I'll get them uploaded another night.

Last edited:
Another BYC member had a problem and had a paintball gun and shot the dogs with the paintball gun.

If they are actually dumps I am very sorry for those pooches, although they look as if they were decently fed before. If you lived closer I would gladly take them off your hands. But good going with the well built run!!! So far we haven't had any predator kills, knock on wood. Although I do believe something ripped off one of my duck's tail feathers out while I was on vacation.

So some horrid person dumped out an instant dog pack! I'm so glad your chickens were safe. That's an awfully good run, to stand up to so many big animals.

I'm sorry for those miserable, abandoned dogs, and sorry that you have to do the dirty work that the owner weaseled out of...
hmm.png

Quote:
I can't stand people

The black dog is a female in heat you can see in some of the other pictures on my game cam. There was a 5th dog that visited at night with them, a shorter-legged female that obviously has puppies somewhere. I've never seen these dogs before, so they aren't from my neighborhood, and one of the neighbors said that somebody dumped "some dogs" up the road near the little church, so I suspect these are probably them. They all look kinda similarly sized/built, so probably grown-up puppies that somebody didn't want anymore. We have a low cost spay/neuter program here, there is absolutely NO excuse for having unwanted puppies. Plus the animal control is RIGHT up the road from here, they could have given the dogs to them instead of dumping them out to starve and terrorized the neighborhood until somebody shoots them. I guess the end result is the same if I catch them. I believe a well-placed head shot is just as humane as the euthanasia shot, if not moreso, but I only got one so far, who knows what will happen to the rest of them, hungry and running around in traffic and such. People are the worst animals. I do know that I'm not the only one with livestock though. Maybe they'll go terrorized the donkey in the next field over and he'll take care of them.

Even though the chickens were safe, they were terrorized in their own home. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them.

Damage photos:
IMG01097-20110703-1053.jpg

They chewed my lock, teeth marks on both sides of it
IMG01096-20110703-1041.jpg

IMG01099-20110703-1053.jpg

IMG01100-20110703-1054.jpg

The purpose of this chicken wire was to keep younger chicks from walking through the holes in the welded wire, so it was a non-essential part. I certainly wouldn't trust chicken wire and zip ties to actually protect my chickens. However, these black zip ties have been out in the sun for 2 years and the welded wire is bent from where it pulled without breaking the plastic. I was impressed.
IMG01104-20110705-1912.jpg

IMG01105-20110705-1912.jpg

The chicken wire is actually torn here though, don't build your coops out of chicken wire!!
IMG01107-20110705-1928.jpg

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the dogs.. the tan ones look as if they may be some type of coon hounds. And they look to be pretty well taken care of, not very skinny at all for wild dogs. It is horrible that some one would dump them like that. It is a shame they went after your chickens and made a HUGE mess of your pen but thank goodness your girls are safe. poor dogs have a sad bleak future ahead of them, and thier owners need to be shot, not so much the dogs. Have you contacted animal control.. maybe they can help you out... you do have the game cam pictures.

Yeah, I've ranted about people dumping animals before. We get too many of them around here. You need to do what you need to do. They'll go after calves and colts too. Luckily my brother was home and knew how to take care of the problem when a pack cornered our cows and calves close enough to the house that he could hear them. I have no sympathy for whoever dropped them off instead of handling the problem themselves, but you are right. A quick humane kill is better than the dogs starving, becoming coyote food, or terrorizing the area.

It looks like the wire did not all break but came untwisted in your last photo. In the one with the twist tie, it looks like they actually broke the wire. Am I looking at it right?

I do it the same as you. 2x4 welded wire with chicken wire to keep the chickens' heads and baby chicks in.

I do like that red one up front, it looks like a redbone, and I am a thing for red bone coonhounds. But I would be really mad too. I would work my hardest to catch the dogs and bring them to a rescue or the pound. If anything attacked my ducks and chickens I would go on a wild rampage.

Back
Top Bottom