Dog Attack. (Warning graphic photo)

Flowerfairy

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Long story short:
A husky dog had gotten into my yard as a lady was walking it. Not sure how she lost control of the dog but the dog got ahold of two of my chickens.
I was not home for the incident but I came shortly after. Feathers were everywhere.
One set of feathers from my speckled Sussex and the other set of feathers from my buff Orpington.
From a quick examination of the speckled Sussex it seems like there were no injuries. Not sure why her feathers were everywhere.
It was chaos as well because we were also missing a chicken- assuming it got spooked and flew away somewhere. And finding her before sundown at 5 was top priority. We found her safe.

I got the chance to check on my buff Orpington and found she had suffered a large wound. It seemed the dog had ripped a lot of her feathers off and tore the skin. Immediately I sprayed veteryn (don’t know how to spell at the moment) and moved her into a separate housing since her skin was exposed.
When the chaos was going on in trying to get all the chickens back into the coop. She immediately went inside and hunkered down into the nesting boxes. She looked almost deflated. I was looking at her and she got up and jumped up on the roosting branch with all the other chickens since it was bedtime but I decided to grab her and separate her.

It’s hard to tell how she’s doing since nightfall came so quickly after the incident.
its 3am and I’m worried about her.
I don’t know if she needs stitches or anything intense. I was reading that with dog bites I would have to buy antibiotics and inject it into her breast tissue?
I don’t know what to do other than keep the wound clean.
I feel so defeated but I’m holding onto hope. I will try to see how she’s doing once morning comes.
thank you all.

Attachments

• B1CB93A0-779B-454A-AADE-A0F2B194728D.jpeg
    B1CB93A0-779B-454A-AADE-A0F2B194728D.jpeg
    657.1 KB · Views: 35
you need to clip the feathers away from the wound and post more photos.

Assuming no bad internal damage, even bad wounds can heal, its infection that gets them, so get antibiotics, both cream and oral.

Keep the wound moist with lots of antibiotic cream and I would put a loose non stick dressing over the top to keep germs out while it's so raw and to stop her preening at the wound. Later you can leave it open. She will need separating.

Give her electrolyte water now for the shock.

Bring her in and keep her in a crate indoors. You want to avoid flystrike.

More wound care advice please from @Eggcessive or @aart

I should have said to clean the wound thoroughly before putting on any cream. After clipping away any feathers near it. A solution of betadine for example, or hibiscrub or if nothing else some boiled cooled water with a spoonful of salt in it. Try and flush out the wound by squirting the solution using a syringe (no needle) or turkey baster into any crevices you find. Keep doing this until it runs clear. It's really important to flush out any bacteria from the dog bite. You should do this every day until it heals. put her on a towel to absorb the run off and dry her after. But don't let the wound dry out.

Chlorhexidene 2% or Hibiclens diluted 50% with water is a good disinfectant for wounds. Follow with plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. After a couple of days, homemade saline works fine followed by the antibiotic ointment until the skin comes together and heals. Saline is 1 tsp of salt dissolved in 16 ounces of boiled water. Oral antibiotics are usually not needed unless the wound is infected or abscessed. Hopefully, there are no internal injuries which would make things worse.

Chlorhexidene 2% or Hibiclens diluted 50% with water is a good disinfectant for wounds. Follow with plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. After a couple of days, homemade saline works fine followed by the antibiotic ointment until the skin comes together and heals. Saline is 1 tsp of salt dissolved in 16 ounces of boiled water. Oral antibiotics are usually not needed unless the wound is infected or abscessed. Hopefully, there are no internal injuries which would make things worse.
Am saving this to paste, with credit to you.

Long story short:
A husky dog had gotten into my yard as a lady was walking it. Not sure how she lost control of the dog but the dog got ahold of two of my chickens.
I was not home for the incident but I came shortly after. Feathers were everywhere.
One set of feathers from my speckled Sussex and the other set of feathers from my buff Orpington.
From a quick examination of the speckled Sussex it seems like there were no injuries. Not sure why her feathers were everywhere.
It was chaos as well because we were also missing a chicken- assuming it got spooked and flew away somewhere. And finding her before sundown at 5 was top priority. We found her safe.

I got the chance to check on my buff Orpington and found she had suffered a large wound. It seemed the dog had ripped a lot of her feathers off and tore the skin. Immediately I sprayed veteryn (don’t know how to spell at the moment) and moved her into a separate housing since her skin was exposed.
When the chaos was going on in trying to get all the chickens back into the coop. She immediately went inside and hunkered down into the nesting boxes. She looked almost deflated. I was looking at her and she got up and jumped up on the roosting branch with all the other chickens since it was bedtime but I decided to grab her and separate her.

It’s hard to tell how she’s doing since nightfall came so quickly after the incident.
its 3am and I’m worried about her.
I don’t know if she needs stitches or anything intense. I was reading that with dog bites I would have to buy antibiotics and inject it into her breast tissue?
I don’t know what to do other than keep the wound clean.
I feel so defeated but I’m holding onto hope. I will try to see how she’s doing once morning comes.
thank you all.
How is she now?

Back
Top Bottom