Dog attack

Great Pyrenees dogs are good with chickens if you want something to guard them. ;)
I've got a family member with the opposite experience. He got the dog for goats, and she was raised around goats.

EDT: One day, Grandpap's chickens (he lives next to the uncle who owns the dog) got out of the coop, and feathers flew.

I think I'd have a word with the septic guy. :rant

Oh I had SEVERAL words with the septic guy. We’ve also changed the gate code so now every time they come for an inspection they have to call to be let in. ::shrugs shoulders::
They’ll just have to deal with it. They screwed up and we won’t let it happen again.

Not sure if it’s the same for chickens, but I volunteer at a wildlife rehab and we get a lot of injured wild birds. Broken wings can heal, and since chickens don’t “need” to fly it won’t have to be perfect. As for the legs, it could be inflammation due to a bruised or sprained back, not necessarily a break. We’ve gotten in birds with broken tailbones who can’t walk, but that can also improve a lot given time and rest as the bone heals. Chickens can be amazingly resilient and since she’s ‘talking’ to you and doesn’t seem in distress, I think you’re right to give her a chance. Good luck to you and your hen!

Not sure if it’s the same for chickens, but I volunteer at a wildlife rehab and we get a lot of injured wild birds. Broken wings can heal, and since chickens don’t “need” to fly it won’t have to be perfect. As for the legs, it could be inflammation due to a bruised or sprained back, not necessarily a break. We’ve gotten in birds with broken tailbones who can’t walk, but that can also improve a lot given time and rest as the bone heals. Chickens can be amazingly resilient and since she’s ‘talking’ to you and doesn’t seem in distress, I think you’re right to give her a chance. Good luck to you and your hen!

Yes I agree! I don’t care if her wing is wonky, just want her to be OK. She’s getting her attitude back and was biting at my shirt when I put the meds on just a few minutes ago.

I’ve gotten several syringes of water in her and got some B12 vitamins in her. I’ve put the Vetericyn on her twice but just found my Theracyn. Is there a difference? The Theracyn is poultry wound and skin care, should I use that one instead?

She’s not using her legs yet but she did move her toes for me earlier.

Here’s our little nugget in her bed, in the tub. Not sure why she’s got her beak open, she was talking to me when I took the pic, because now it’s closed.

Attachments

• 14D957EC-A257-48E0-93C8-F38E68416B2D.jpeg
    14D957EC-A257-48E0-93C8-F38E68416B2D.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 21
Is there a difference?
I've never heard of Theracyn, so I did a google. They appear to have very nearly the same active ingredients, but Theracyn has nearly three times the amount of active ingredient. (Hypochlorous Acid (0.008%) + Sodium Hypochlorite (0.002%) for Theracyn vs 0.003% of Hypochlorous Acid for Vetericyn Plus) Both come in hydrogel and liquid form.

Theracyn is $18 for 10 oz on Amazon, while Vetericyn is $30 for 16 oz.

I've never heard of Theracyn, so I did a google. They appear to have very nearly the same active ingredients, but Theracyn has nearly three times the amount of active ingredient. (Hypochlorous Acid (0.008%) + Sodium Hypochlorite (0.002%) for Theracyn vs 0.003% of Hypochlorous Acid for Vetericyn Plus) Both come in hydrogel and liquid form.

Theracyn is $18 for 10 oz on Amazon, while Vetericyn is $30 for 16 oz.

Ok I think I’ll switch to the Theracyn as I have both. And that one seems to have higher ingredients and may work harder to keep infection down.

she looks like shes doing well. can she walk?
No, she isn’t putting weight on her legs at all. I’m currently looking for something good to fashion a sling out of to get her up a little bit. Going to make some mash soon and get her to eat. Maybe a scrambled egg.

Back
Top Bottom