Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Akita, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Akita

Akita Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    This is my first post. Sunday, my 8 year old Rhode Island Red rooster was attacked by one of my dogs. My fault, entirely....Anyhow, he has been to the vet and was placed on Tincarcillin antibiotic injections. He is drinking water and Gatorade and eating egg yoke mixed with water. He does not seem to want to walk, will stand for a short while, and then just sinks to the floor. He's in the house in a dog crate on blankets. Any ideas? Encouragement? I love this old fellow, but I don't know what else to do.
    Dorie

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    You could try getting him to walk with treats, he is probably to scared to move since he thinks that is now safe.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Had a pullet get caught by a cat once. She wouldnt walk much either a few days after. I kept her seperate for a few more days and slowly she started walking. First w/a limp and would rest the wounded side a while...now she is totally back to 100%

I think it just takes time.

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as the chicken is eating/drinking and seems to be resting well, I wouldn't worry too much. (Easy for me to say [​IMG] ) He's probably still in a bit of shock and will take a bit to regain his stamina.
    Do you have a sweet hen in with him for socialability?
    His muscles may still be sore and it hurts to stand. Be patient and give him enough time.

Carla

5. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

My GLW hen was grabbed by a coyote. I kept her in the house with food and water for two weeks because she wouldn't stand. She started standing then walking with a limp. Now she's fine and laying again. He is probably pretty bruised up. [​IMG]

6. Akita

Akita Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Carla, my hen is outside in the pen. She would be very frightened if I made her come in the house. Today, it is too cold for my rooster outside, but should warm up tomorrow, and I plan to take him outside for a while. Thank you!
    Dorie

7. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    wow.. your rooster lived through an AKITA attack???? everything my akita attacked did not live, he instantly killed it...
    with training i got him to ignore the chickens/turkeys/goats.. but i could not stop him from killing cats.... anytime we went out to the barn area i put a cage muzzle on him, so he still chased the barn cats but could not kill them.....

glad the rooster is doing OK,, it just takes time to heal

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I wouldn't worry about making him stand or walk. He will do it on his own when he feels up to it.

9. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    My buckeye roo and muscovy drake were mauled by a neighbor's black lab (don't get me going on those people they are stupid!) Both birds lost feathers, the drake had blood all over his back end and spent a week refusing to come out of his house (wouldn't let me near enough to check him out) but yesterday ventured outside again for the first time.

The roo I caught and had indoors for a couple days till he seemed to come out of shock. He has definite rips in his skin on his butt. I put him back in the coop after being sure there weren't any signs of blood to make him get picked on. He is doing much better now. I'd say yours will probably do better in a couple more days.

I wish I had been able to save my lady duck and buckeye hen though. When the dog owner mentioned the "incident" last night at a birthday party we both attended I think she finally got the idea that I didn't think what her dog did was very funny.... OOO, like I said, don't get me started on her.....!!! [​IMG]

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    oh, I am so sorry. It sounds like you are doing everything right for him. I think the eating and drinking is a very good sign. I would make sure he also has access to his regular food. I had a hen once who was molested by a fox and spent some time recovering in a dog crate. She huddled into a corner and hardly moved for a week she was so stressed. She did come out of her fear though, so perhaps your Roo some more time to just rest.

Welcome to the BYC site. Please do let us know how he does. Will be sending healing thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by