dog attack

I hope you wouldn't use spring traps. Needless torture. If you are going to punish the dog for irresponsible owners, I would hope you would at least do it in a quicker, more humane way.

I understand your anger but the owners should be punished, not the dog- at least at this point. The dog is just being a dog and free ranging chickens are exposed to many different predators besides just dogs.

The only way to really keep them safe is not let them free range.

Great to have a sheriff that recommends actions against the law though. Wonder where else he decides to bend the rules. (Unnecessary sarcasm, sorry
hide.gif
)

Game cam is a good device.

I don't know where you are located, but I would assume if you saw tracks you could see where they leed to.
Also remember that yotes get brave this time of year.

Once you are shure who the guilty party is.
I would suggest you fallow my favorite Presidents quote "Trust But Verify".

Then do what you have to.

SSS

Quote:
The sheriff is not bending any rules, Alabama has a law on the books that the lady who knows her dog killed another persons animals must also know about.

Quote:
I can truly understand that as I absolutely adore my girls. If you meant this then it is more important to consider something to prevent the problem in the future. One dead dog doesn't prevent all loses forever--or sometimes even for days if dogs and/or natural predators live in your area. If you really want to do so (and I believe you do) you should look into a more permanent solution other than killing anything after they already have killed your chickens (like shutting the barn door after the horses got out). This is why I recommended a very large guardian dog such as a Great Pyrenees or Anatolian Shepherd.
kar.gif
These dogs live outside while the birds (or any livestock) are ranging and many of these breeds live outdoors 24/7. I am not a proponent for dogs to live outside all the time but these dogs typically prefer living with their charges and there is no predation if there is one or two of them--no fighting occurs with predators--predators just won't risk it. The cost is minimal compared to your stress and loss of livestock and they are gentle with the family as long as you socialize them accordingly. Another benefit--no human predators will challenge them either!

I'm so sorry for you loss.
If you have an idea of the dog that did this I'd take the time to go talk to the owner and get a good look at the dog- it may have scratches on it from the hens fighting back .

We had 2 dogs attack our hens on 12/26. It was awful- when we found B.B. our Black Austrolorp (my kids favorite) dead in my neighbors yard. My son and I tracked them down as they were going in and out of everyones yards- climbing fences hunting for more animals. They both had scratches on their faces and bodies. Unfortunately, my neighbor had already called animal control and the sherriffs department, so all I could do is keep them from running away.

I hope you find out which dog did this because they will be back.

well just like i expected i got over 30 pics of neighbors dog chasing chickens around coop from the outside!! Sheriff was called and another report was taken but he did'nt seem too happy to be there!! He will talk to dogs owner AGAIN !! He said it was up to me to handle problem! Either take them to civil court and hope i win or handle problem myself! He stressed the fact that it was well within my rights to kill dog if it comes back on my property. guess its time to break out the night light and the 10/22 and do a little varment hunting. WISH ME LUCK!!
fl.gif

I lost 12 hens to a dog attack back in Oct. It broke into the coop. That problem is fixed. Saw the dog that morning and it got away. But it came back again that night for more. Needles to say he is SSS. Good luck. I am sorry this happened.
hugs.gif

I not only wish you good luck but also a good, steady aim! So many people believe that just because they live out in a rural area that their dogs can just run free without any supervision at all. On my farm I have a zero tolerance policy on free-rangeing dogs and my neighbors are all aware of it. I have enough problems with wild varmints to put up with any roaming dogs. I just teach them to "lay & stay"... So sorry for your loses.

I love "LAY AND STAY" such a good command! Owner has kept dog on tight leash for now, we will see how long that will last! love game cam in front of coop. Interesting to see what goes bump in the night. showed me a lot of predators that try to get into coop at night but can't! did'nt know i had a good population of possums, coons, skunks and rabbits. I love my game cam.

I can't free range my birds as too many dogs run loose out here in the country. I finally made my fence 6 ft. + high & lock them up in the coop at night. I then set a few steel leg traps. If a dog gets over or into the fenced in area it is dead as once a "chicken killer, always a chicken killer". I did loose a few chickens & it took a few days to figure out it was an owl getting in through the rafters at night. I put chicken wire over then opening & the owl stopped it's feeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom