Dog attack

@motley

I have survived quite a few dog attacks on my hens. I found that washing the wounds and applying a heavy layer of Blue Kote has saved every one of them.
Blue Kote was recommended to me by the local feed store owner. It really has worked wonders, kept my hens from infection, maggot infestation, and kept them alive. I find the spray kind is easier to use, i believe you can pick this up at your local feed store for about $7.00. I also find that when I have used this the other hens do not pick at the wounds, maybe they dont like the taste of it?Good Luck!!

Oh and if you do use this, fair warning, it stains your hands and clothes! So try to not get it on you!

Key on his supervised visits with his girls :) taken yesterday

He's SOO cute!!!! :D so glade you could save him!!

Just thought I'd inform all that I went to my local produce store to get some blue kote and they informed me its a poison, that putting it on a tree for example would kill it and that an alternative is just simple warm salt water. And not to use if you aren't %100 sure on dosage, weight, age and what not

@motleysussex I'm surprised you were told that. I have been recommended Blue kote by many feed store owners and farm folk. It's worked wonders for my hens. I truly believed its saved them on numerous occasions and it has not caused any sickness or poison related symptoms. I swear by the stuff. It keeps out infections and maggot infestations. Also keeps other hens from picking. I'll do some research though based on what you were told

I use blue kote on my horses all the time. Now my one surviving hen, dog attach, is covered in it. She has attempted to clean herself, there fore eating it, and still alive. Blue kote is merely an antiseptic coating. You can get one with a brush application or spray can. The brush is great for indoor use. She has a large puncture wound and collapsed lung. She's made it a week and a half so far.

It's been a rough ride. I hope we're on the right track to recovery. She eats and drinks. Her favorite food currently is kefir milk, I make at home. I worry about her gaping wound and it closing up. My biggest concern is how she'll be post recovery.

Back
Top Bottom