Dog attacked my baby chick, heavy breathing, no apparent bleeding...help?

macnjac

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Monroe, ga
One of my 6 week old chicks was attacked by a dog. I don't see any injuries, or bleeding, but she won't move much, and her breathing seems labored. I don't hear gurgling, she is just breathing hard and fast with her beak open. I think she is sleeping now. Do you think the breathing is due to shock or internal injuries? These chicks are our pets, and I have 2 kids I need to prepare... I have her in her own little box with hear lamp and soft bedding, food and water. jave also given her sugar water with a dropper. anything else i can do? Help?

Last edited:
They can be in shock for a while, maybe a day, but if they won't eat or drink at that point, there are probably internal injuries that are just too much for it. I'm afraid I would prepare the kids for what may be coming.

Thank you @flockwatcher... My bar rock chicken (Emily) seems to be improving. Her breathing is still ragged at times but for the most part has calmed tremendously. She is eating and drinking now. I spent the first day giving her water or sugar and tomato water with a dropper. But today she is eating her chicken feed and drinking on her own. She seems to tire, and her "poop" is a chocolate brown color... No white at all. Does this mean anything? I am hopeful but watchful. Thanks again for the help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom