Dog Behavior-2 Things

Why and Dotte

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Princeton, IN
Ever since the puppy and my 12 year old beagle(peanut) have become buddies, Peanut has been displaying puppy like behavior. For instance a few seconds ago she was tearing up a piece of paper
roll.png
right now she's tossing around a shirt
barnie.gif
playing with a squeaky toy, she never did that even when she was 1 (that's when I first got her).
Is she reverting back to puppyhood
lol.png
? I've never seen her rough house this much with another dog either is she just happy and feeling frisky maybe?
It's funny though because she can also get very defensive at times with him (I would too if I were her), when she's resting and he wants to play she'll jump at him growling looking very mad, should I keep her from going at him or let her sort things out? I'm thinking let her put him in his place, my family always breaks it up because they think he'll get hurt but if he learns to respect her and back off when she says there won't be as much of a problem, he also doesn't get agressive dog body language.

Am I being ridiculous for wanting to let the beagle set him in his place? I have a feeling that if she doesn't do it when he's young he's going to cause problems between them by being obnoxious.

Just now he was rolling around growling wanting to play, she didn't want to so she let a deep growl out and he didn't ag it on as much (to her still being annoying) but still I think she doesn't need to be held back.

Last edited:
I usually let them work it out, as long as she is just correcting him and not trying to kill him. A good baby sitter does wonders to help raise a pup and teach them some manners.

Your older dog is teaching the pup boundaries. It's good for the pup to learn proper dog etiquette. The loud growling/snarling, teeth gnashing is normal and sends the "Leave me alone!" message quite effectively!

my 12 year old beagle(peanut) have become buddies, Peanut has been displaying puppy like behavior.

I have seen that over and over and think it's so good for the older dog. When people ask me what to do with their older dog that just lays around I tell them to get them a good physical, and then a puppy!
It sounds like she is teaching him dog manners. He will be a better dog because of it. She will start with a growl, if he ignores it she might jump up and chase him away. If he doesn't learn by then she will probably nail him a time or two. That is how his mother would have done it.​

I'm glad shes having a good time, she got a little depressed after my pyr had to be euthanized for bone cancer, she's a whole different dog now
smile.png
Hopefully I can work this whole "she's going to hurt him" thing with everyone
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom