Dog bladder stone question

Bantamlover23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Chuluota, FL
In January my corgi had to have bladder stones removed. She was put on a prescription diet (Hill's Prescription Diet c/d), but I really do not like the dog food but it is what the vet recommends. I was wondering is there any alternatives to feeding this?

I was wondering what you didnt like about that feed? I got my grandparents dog after they passed and he has been on it for around 6 years now. He no longer has any stones, I think this food really helps. This poor guy was rehomed 4 times because he kept getting them and as you know surgery is very spendy. Anywhos I hope you find somthing better for you and your dog.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ok, I am willing to keep her on it because I know it helps. But are you able to give your dogs anyother type snack aka treats? Because my vet told me that my dog is not allowed to have anything else. Trust I do know that surgery is expensive I have finally paid my parents back for it. I also want to thank you for your reply.

Yes, if your pooch had struvite stones removed, keep her on C/D...For treats I think Hills now makes a treat that is compatible with a few of the RX diets so look into that (your Vet might just need to order some). Also for treats, get a few cans of the C/D, slice them like (jellied cranberries on T-Day
wink.png
and bake on a low heat in the oven...I bet she will love them
smile.png

Our dog who has since passed away had stones. The vets had to make him a new opening- very $$$
They had recommended a RX diet as well, but I asked for alternatives, mainly because he had been so costly to help with surgery.They had a recipe for a white rice/egg/oil/salt substitute diet that I cooked every week. It kept him free from issues until he had to be PTS for another age issue many years later. Good luck

My grandma always spoiled her dogs and it was soo hard for her not to just give any and all treats so she came up with these ideas. 1. use the can version of the food take it and put it a hallow bone and freeze it. 2. smash or grind the food up and mix it with water untill it is a thick paste and put it mini muffin cups and bake untill dry and use them as biskets. We only just cover the lower part of the pan, so they are still small and get crunchy.

Last edited:
If you have a Costco nearby, they sell a 2 1/2 lb bag of chicken breast jerky. No fat, salt, anything. Just dried chicken strips. I've NEVER seen a dog pass one up! Most feed stores sell them as well, but for smaller packages and more $$.

Yes you take the dry food and grind in a blender or smash it in a plastic bag, then mix with water and rebake them in the mini muffin tins. This way it is the same diet food but a "bisket" as far as he thinks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom