Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

49946_groundhog_2010_chickens_030.jpg

49946_groundhog_2010_chickens_034.jpg

I'm trying to acclimate my 3 wieners to the chicks. 10 chicks and 3 <*()=;=======;-)~~~ so far they have not offered to snap at the birds, but I keep a close eye on those doggies. My wieners love chicks!!!! OMG that sounds salacious.
smack.gif
:smack

I have a purebred Sheltie and he is a chicken ignorer, I have a purebred Pomeranian and she is a chicken ignorer (chicken runner and hider would be more like it!!) and I have a mini doxie who he probably closest to a chicken chaser. He intently watches them, and I think if he was any bigger at all, he would chase them. He definitely doesn't ignore them, and doesn't protect them. Given half the chance with us not there, I think he would chase.

My dog, Jelly is a mutt, who i think i would place in chicken friend - but not so much protector.

She is a lab/german shepherd/collie cross. At least, that's what i was told.

She wants to herd the chickens, but as they grew older, they didn't like her herding anymore, and she gave up.

She's still under a year, so her development may improve, but right now, she eats with the chickens, lays down with the chickens, ignores the chickens unless they're in her food - and sometimes even then.

However, i had some baby chicks out yesterday, enjoying the sunshine, and when they got out of the area where Jelly thought they should be, she herded them all back in. She didn't like all those babies roaming free.

When she was younger, Jelly thought the chickens were her playmates, and that they should want to wrestle with her. It took one very firm correction to help her understand that was not the plan. But even when she "wrestled," she did not bite into them. She was clearly trying to play.

Also, i have a feeling that if my husband and i knew more about training dogs, she would be really good with them. But i understand chickens better than i do dogs, so she does the best she can with our language barrier.
wink.png

One more thing....Jelly came to our house the same day the chicks did, so she has never been our only baby, and she has known that the chickens were our babies from the very beginning. We kept them together all the time. Jelly often sleeps under or beside their coop.

We have two goldens, one of whom I have never doubted has a strong prey drive. The birds would never be safe with her. The male has tried to make friends with them through the fence, and has shown some restraint. Yesterday I was picking chicks out of the brooder to pet and socialize. I showed him the chick, and his nature got the better of him. He involuntarily snapped his teeth together. I sharply corrected him, but I now have no doubt that he is not to be trusted around any of them.

I have a treeing feist,would be chicken killer given the chance. Has got some feathers in the past.
I have a mountain cur that would probablt be a chicken killer but doesn't get out of the kennel when the chicks are out.
Leopard cur, doesn't hunt chickens but will kill one should the opportunity arrise.
Pit Bull, could care less unless the chicken runs from it then it's on.
Had a lab that would kill an occasional chick. The chicks usually went into the pen and drank the dogs water. She would kill about one out of thirty a year. Could care less about being around a grown chicken
My wifes inside daschund will chase a chicken but not kill it. Just playing games. Will also run from the chicken.
I have one rir hen that free ranges most of the time. She loves dogs. Even those that want to eat her. She has figured that dogs on chains can only reach so far and test them quite regular. She has also figured that she can sit outside a kennel and when the dog goes to the other side she can stick her head through the fence and eat its food. This proves that chickens have short memories because she was one of six hens that survived a dog attack on my chicken tractor last year. She just got her tail back.

Mini-Dachshund - chicken killers. I made the mistake of not closing the run doors one night and let my two girls out the next morning. There were feathers EVERYWHERE and if it weren't for me hearing all of the commotion and running out to catch the dogs, there would have been dead chickens without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom