Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

Husky: Confirmed Chicken Killer. I knew he would be, but sadly a chicken flew into her run one day and she did what I knew she would do. The run is now covered so that can't happen.

Lab: Chicken Ignorer

Australian Shepherd: Chicken lover. She loves all my birds except the geese which terrify her. Best dog ever!

I have a Doberman. My chicks are too little (still in brooder) but the neighbours turkeys and rooster come over to my yard a lot. He does not chase, he is more curious than anything, just looks at them. mostly ignores them. The female turkey comes right up to him and all he does is lick her, tail wagging away. I don't know if he would be ignorer or lover, but definitely no hostility towards them.

I've already posted on this topic but thought I'd go ahead and post a little supporting evidence
wink.png

(The dog was sunning first)

Doberman = Chicken Ignorer

IMG00046-20100228-1022.jpg

LOVE that picture -- PRICELESS.

I have mutts. Older mutts, 11 and 9 -- better mannered mutts than anyone, including me, gives them credit for. We all tease about how spoiled , wild and outrageous they are -- fact is they do what they are told and I am on top of all potentially iffy situations. A stranger comes into my yard and mydogs would eat them alive if I let them...

My dogs do not chase chickens because a) they are too old to care and b) I tell them not to.

Some breeds are more chicken chaser/killers than others -- but your best bet is to find a calm dog who takes direction well.

Even though the dobie in the above picture is clearly no threat -- it could just as easily be a completely different scene. Know your dog and be in charge.

Does that help at all?

Jenny

Quote:
Amen!

With my dogs they follow my rules or they follow my rules. They dont get to make the decisions
smile.png
....unless, of course, they turn 18, move out and start making their own living
wink.png

My English Bulldogs love love love my chickens. They will hang out in the lower part of the chicken coop with them and would go upstairs I am sure if they could. They bring toys to them and sniff the chickens "butts" as soon as they see them. We just lost my female dog zoe to heart failure so we have only Iz left and I don't know what he would do if he didn't have the hens to love. He has a dog door and the hens free range in my middle yard till I get home from work and they get along great. I dont know if Iz would actively go after something but I know he will protect the humans he knows so I thinkhe woud protect the hens. We seem to have no animals that come into the yard, not even squirrels now that Iz has his dog door.

The hens seek Iz out also, they all walk around together and all wait at the garage door when they here the overhead door go up watching who is getting home. My husband keeps telling me I should get some pictures of the interaction between the dog and the chickens . So I will try to on Sunday.

I have 2 corgis- the male tries to be good but can not be trusted- he likes to eat feathers,
the female just watches and is a little jealous of them but otherwise doesn't really care.

The wind blew my back gate open today and my chickens got into the front yard. The neighbors dog tried to kill them...it was a schnauzer. Luckily we only had one lose her tail feathers and a cut on another girl's leg. I would have to say that schnauzer's should NOT be trusted around chickens!

Back
Top Bottom