Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I have a big huge boy Rottweiler who loves my chickens and is scared to death of my 3 Pekin Ducks
tongue.png

I also have a golden retreiver that ignores them and a German Shepherd/Rottie x that gives them a quick chase and ignores after that.

I have a Rottie girl that can't be around any small animals as well besides little dogs. She has her own yard area.
wink.png

In the past I had another male Rottie that was wonderful with all animals.

It isn't the breed that will tell whether they are good with certain animals, it's the individual dog. My friend has 2 pitbulls who just adore her chickens.

I have pure American Bulldog sweet as a peach to the girls. the girls climb on him and he is okay! i think he would protect them too. such a good dog!

Our chickens are two months old and we have a 8 year old Border Collie mix. She is learning from us to be nice to the chickens but her herding instinct is hard to control. She really wants to chase them badly. Don't know and don't want to know if she would eat one!
hmm.png
I NEVER leave her alone with them!

Ok...

I had some huskys come around my house once and they were chasing the chickens in a hungry looking way... but never touched them.

But, I own a Australian Shepard/Beagle mix and she loves them to death!! I did start desensitizing her to them as soon as I got them as day olds. She will herd them up if asked to but otherwise, she comes in the coop and goes outside with them all by herself! AMAZING DOG!!

I think looking at breeds is very subjective... it really is each and every dog...individually. we had two american bulldogs one would never try and eat my birds the other would snatch them up in a moment. trained the same both mindful and well behaved but one i would leave in the hen house and one i would not! i simply depends on the dog

I have three dogs:
Belgian Malinois, she is a one of the four types of Belgian sheepherding dogs, never had a problem with her. She walks amongst the chickens and doesn't pay much attention to them.

Springer/Collie, he has a mild passing interest in my chickens. I don't think he would hurt them as he seems to love all other beings BUT as a precaution I would not leave him loose in the yard if the hens were out free ranging. He has gone after a few predators and killed a snake and a skunk that came into the yard last summer. It was like he knew they were bad news.

Wirehaired terrior, she has a big interest in them. She got loose a few days ago and had a great time chasing them around. I wouldn't say she hates them but more like sees them as a fun looking toy. I would never trust her with them.

I had a black lab that loved to catch and kill and three greyhounds that couldn't care less.

My lab loves to watch them, but hasn't hurt any

My landlord's shepherd mix harrasses them on occasion when she gets excited as someone comes up the road. She also killed one once. But we now leave her out with the birds.

My buddy's Samoyed doesn't even look at them

10 dogs here........

1 belgian malinois she is scared of the chickens... well they do come up and peck at her

Other belgian malinois will chase and pin down to pull out feathers! She is now just a "watcher" I had to put my foot down!

1 border collie ........wanted to chase but I told her no so now she leaves them alone

the other border collie...... had the roossters head in her mouth!!!!!!!!!! she will chase and kill I have to keep a eye on her.......

1 Chihuahua he lives for the trill of the chase! he does not know he is 4 pounds!

the other Chihuahua she is so small she runs away! Screeming!!!!!!

Mutt 1 lab whatever..... could care less the chickens "worry" him

Mutt 2 Border collie pointer mix..... Use to chase but now would rather be friend. He thinks they are his petsand goes an counts them in the morring

Mutt 3 lab hound whatever..... she tries to nake friend with them.

Mutt 4 is mutt 3 brother and litter mate ......he will chase pin down and pluck!

Now I have a handle on them I do a lot of control work with the dogs like stays around the chickens so no one chases that much any more

but the chickems know I got ther back and have learned this. I think it boils down to training

I have 3 vizsla's.It took a lot of training but they know the difference between my chickens(ducks,geese,guinea,there all called chickens here
big_smile.png
)and birds.Anything that flies comes back to me in hand by way of dog,but the chickens they will herd back towards the coup if they stray too far.If I bring home someone new they have to be taught that they belong here.One problem is that I will never be able to raise pheasant or quail.That"s asking for too much.It takes a lot of work but you can raise bird dogs and chickens together.

Back
Top Bottom