Dog breeds

Teaching a dog gentle helps alot. That is how i can bring a chicken out of the run and my dog will just try to lick it. As @Folly's place said hounds, terriers and sled dogs are all harder to have chickens around because of there higher prey drive. But training a dog to be around chickens is possible with any dog. Even a dog 8 yrs of age.

Herding breeds might want to herd too much, also not so good for poultry. And most herding dogs need a LOT of exercise and training, or they will be happy to do their own thing out of boredom. Guard dogs may do well, if you have that training time and can manage such a dog. Livestock guardian dogs were meant to watch over four footed critters, out there in large open tracts of land, not poultry on small lots.
Generally dogs see birds are interesting squeaky toys, and need training to decide otherwise.
Mary

Since you've got a older big that doesn't go after your chickens, the pup has a better chance of learning from him/her. Obviously lots of treats when he does good around the chickens will reinforce his good behavior.

We have a Dutch shepherd/Belgian Malinois/chow chow mix…he’s fine with the birds when I (or my husband) are outside. I would not trust him without us out there. He’s also not quite 1 year old yet. He is learning to respect the birds’ space and walk around them. He isn’t quite to the ignore stage yet I believe getting them as a puppy and continuing to work with them makes a difference. I am not sure I’d ever trust him alone though.

Picture to add cuteness. Yesterday I was moving the ducks from the pond back to their run and Donald (he has neurological issues I believe) had to check the dog out. I have video of him “pecking” the dog and the dog just walking away.

We also have chickens

Attachments

• 0F027554-8898-4736-8035-2D03ABD575FA.jpeg
    0F027554-8898-4736-8035-2D03ABD575FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I don’t think breed makes a huge difference. I had a silkie terrier I had to watch very closely. I have two bullies, one I have no concern about but the other would be trouble and they’re brother and sister. No matter what you get, starting with a younger dog and training it from the start that your flock is off limits would be your best bet.

Having a well trained and trustworthy seasoned dog around when you get a new pup has been very successful for me.
Old Momo, (Ausie) helped train by example, the three guardian dogs I have now.
Momo was a purebred given to us for free as he was considered a undesirable color. He was a constant companion to my daughter growing up and I am sure he woud have gladly died for her. He was a master guardian dog, sniffing the wind, and off like a shot if he heard or smelled something that was trouble.
He had no formal training for this. He just came by it natural.
My dogs now are MIKI (border collie/blue heeler,
JUNE (german shepherd/lab,
and ZIP (pit bull/Australian shepherd.
June was 5 when we rescued her. She had a history as a killer of poultry, but she is smart, and in a couple weeks with human direction and canine correction, no longer showed any interest in the chickens. Chasing off preditors is much more exciting. I go to work and all 3 are loose in the yard all day with my flock of free range chickens and guineas.
My trail cameras prove to me that the dogs work all day, chasing off critters.
This is Mo, best dog ever!
Randomness- NC 037.JPG

My vote is for English Shepherds, I have fallen in love with this breed. My dog, Tez, loves her birds and all animals that we have determined are part of our household. Her goal is to help me with whaterver task is at hand and to protect our property from rats, foxes and anything we may deem unwanted. I true friend, helper and companion!

2020-06-25 (6).JPG

Back
Top Bottom